16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  And now for something entirely different ...
MGF
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:04 am  Reply with quote

Disclaimer: Not a 16 ga
With that said, am I the only one that thinks this looks like an interesting gun?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/wheeling/misc/203888_valmet.jsp
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

The only experience with a Valmet I have had was with one what felt like a 2x4!!!!This one appears to be much different----who would fix it when/if it breaks ????I will stick with Browning Wink Wink Wink
MGF
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

Wasn't seriously considering it. Just found it kind of neat. If I had the kind of money where I could drop $2,400 on an ensemble like that, for which I have no practical use, I might be tempted. But that time's not coming soon.

Re Brownings ... Wish it were otherwise, but I can't shoot a Citori worth a darn. On skeet, I picked up 5 birds when I switched from a couple different Citoris (a 12 ga. Sporting Hunter and a 20 ga. White Lightning) to a Beretta and similarily actioned O/Us.

Odd, perhaps, but I kid you not.

I'm still welcome if I get down to Paris, though, right? Smile
longwalker
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

the Valmet is an interesting gun. I owned an older one in 12 over .308, the model before the 412. It was the same as the the o/u sold by Savage as the 330. I could interchange my Savage's 12x12 ga barrels and fore end. The 412 may vary a bit from my description ...
The extractor was not the best design for a rimless rifle cartridge, sometimes the .308 case was not extracted all the way or it was difficult to insert a new shell. It was accurate though, and at least as well built as a Browning. they have a unique regulator slide betwen the barels to make sure the rifle barrels shoot where they should. It works. The stocks are generally cast for a right handed shooter. With their very deep profile, they just don't handle all that well, so I sold mine. It was fun to play with for a while!

TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:10 am  Reply with quote

That forend looks like someone carved a 4x4 to fit the barrels.