16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  How did you learn to shoot
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not sure I ever did, or have yet. Back in the day, most of us walked alongside dad until we were old enough to carry a gun; for me it was an old H&R single shot .410, and it was a while before I was allowed to cock the hammer!

I think I did finally get a bird with that old gun, or maybe it's just wishful thinking and a creative memory Wink . My dad was shot in a hunting accident when I was about 12 or so; he lost most of the sight in one eye and never hunted after that. His shotgun - a Savage 775a autoloader - became mine without ceremony (which was his way), and whatever I learned from there on in was from my buddies or on my own. But it did cement my love for the 16 gauge.

So, with a shotgun I'm pretty much self-taught, the same as I am with a guitar, banjo, fly rod, golf club, and most of the other pasttimes I enjoy. Fortunately, most of them are results-oriented pasttimes, and there're no style points; to steal a too-often used cliche, whatever it takes to "get 'er done!"

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
popplecop
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:56 am  Reply with quote

Was given a new Rem. 510 for my 8th birthday, now 63 years later still have it. Dad broke me in on a shotgun couple years later an Ithaca 37 Deluxe 16 ga.

JRB
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:33 am  Reply with quote

Started out with BB gun and graduated to .22 rifle.Bought my first shotgun, a used 16 Ga Iver Johnson at about twelve and through trial and error learned to hit moving targets.Never shot at a clay until I was at least thirty five.We never even shot turtle doves because the size of the game didn't justify the shell price.Finally got my first Lee loader and was able to waste shells.
WHEAT
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

My Grandfather taught me to shoot a Sheridan pump pellet gun. It was mine as soon as I was big enought to pump it. (Mom did not approve) Grampa was very strict on safety. Dad taught me how to shoot a shotgun. Back in the day all members of the Trap & Skeet club were given keys and you shot on an honor system. We came in early and he put me on the low house and let me shoot straight aways. It was love at first shot. Cool RB

nj gsp
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

My grandfather bought me my first BB gun, my dad taught me to shoot it, and my Uncle gave me my first shotgun. I learned to shoot by shooting, reading, asking questions, and shooting some more. I learned it was time for glasses when I started missing far more than I was hitting last year. Very Happy
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:48 am  Reply with quote

From Dad w/his Red Ryder that he learned on that still shoots the same rainbow-like-watch-the-bb-all-the-way-to-the-target trajectory and has never needed a repair in its 3 generations of ownership & countless bb's.

XVI'er
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

My father, Overton Lacy, taught me the basics-shotgun and rifle. Pistol on my on after extensive reading and practice. Graduate shotgun on my on and with the help of many of my friends through the years.I love wingshooting- the best of all shooting disciplines. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

fasteddie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

started off shooting a pumpmaster 760 in the basement when young. then moved on to .22 mag tartgets only with both. moved up to a 16. at age 12 on some clays till i hit them then birds all being taught by my father.at age 16 i learned the unforgiving shoulder beating of a 12 ga slug as most of new york is shot gun only for whitetail. i find myself to be a pretty good shot bagging most game aimed.

Researcher
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

When I was of the proper age Father sent me to Holland & Holland for a proper fitting and lessons at their shooting grounds.

If you believe that......

ckirk
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:57 am  Reply with quote

In 1977, I learned to shoot a rifle with my grandpa in an Indiana garbage dump using a Browning .22 caliber semi-auto. The targets were rats and I was an ecstatic nine year old. When I was 10, he taught me wing-shooting in an Indiana field using a Trius trap and a BSS 20 gauge. The plan was we were going to hunt pheasants in the fall on a relatives farm in Illinois. Grandpa was diagnosed with cancer and was to sick to go on the hunt. He passed on that winter, but he had instilled in me a love for the shooting sports.

I still have grandpa's Browning .22 caliber, the BSS, and the Trius trap. I also now have kids of my own (ages 10 and 5) . Guess what they will be learning to shoot someday.

Regards,
Chris

WHEAT
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:34 am  Reply with quote

Awesome story Chris. I am not far from the UP. eh RB

ckirk
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:55 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Wheat.

Quote:
Back in the day all members of the Trap & Skeet club were given keys and you shot on an honor system.

Before moving to Marquette a few years ago, the shooters' club I belonged to in the Eastern Upper Peninsula still operated on the honor system. Members had a key and could shoot trap or skeet at their leisure. Just pay for your clays by slipping some cash in the lock box. They also had reloading stations and supplies for the local 4H group. The supplies were kept under lock and key and members would save used hulls for the kids. In the spring, we would load up thousands of target rounds for the 4H'ers to use during the summer.

Man, I hope those kinds of places are still around.