16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  federal ammo
87016ga
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

scored some federal 7/8oz HV GAME LOADS today. $3.99 a box with a 10% discount for buying a case.......bought all 3 cases that the store had Exclamation
i'm also giddy as a school girl about having 750 once-fired hulls to play with after i burn these up at 5-stand. Cool
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

That would be a real nice price in my area for that ammo. Good job.

I was out at Cabela's again today picking up a few things. They had 8 flats of the Estate in 16 ga. size 8. I didn't buy any since I can still get the Rem Game loads for $36 and change a flat. I can live with the fact that they are 7.5's for the difference in price.

chilly460
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Nice score!!

I managed to find a Dick's Sporting Goods that actually had some 16ga GL for sale, $3.99/box but no discount for buying a flat. Oh well.

I just finished up reloading a box of 1oz GL, finally figured out the crimp and I'm very happy...also set up the auto primer feed on my 600jr and it is much nicer.
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="chilly460"]I managed to find a Dick's Sporting Goods that actually had some 16ga GL for sale, $3.99/box but no discount for buying a flat. Oh well.quote]

Really? That's unusual. I always get the 10% off when I take the case. Just picked up 2 flats last week at Dick's.

87016ga
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

i just noticed as i was putting away the ammo, that they have 8POINT CRIMPS.......ON A FIELD LOAD AT THAT Exclamation
Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:06 am  Reply with quote

Was in a Dick's in Madison, Wis. 2 months ago. They had Rem GL's for $3.79/box. Asked about the 10% case discount and was told they weren't giving it anymore because of the high cost of fuel. Now I am hearing that stores in other parts of the country are still giving the discount Mad . Guess they don't have a consistent nation wide store policy. Question Confused

Dennis

Last edited by Square Load on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Still $3.79 a box with 10% discount for flat purchase in Rockaway and E.Hanover NJ.
Unfortunately I was at Rockaway about an hour ago and all they had were #6's. I thought they might just have a new case of 7.5's in since I bought the last one they had last week. Very Happy

chilly460
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

I called the cashier on it, but the manager came over and said they only give the 10% on advertised specials. They had Gun Club and STS on this sale.

This was a store in Wyomissing, PA....the local store in Richmond, VA still gives the 10% discount for everything. You'd think a large chain would be consistent, but not so. Still fairly happy to get them at $4/box.
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

Yea, seems like it is a regional or maybe even a store thing. Still not bad prices.

Huns and I are putting together a purchase of 2.5" shells. Probably 10+ flats. I was originally looking to use them just in my Sterly but I might just use them in the Merkel too. I've shot the RST in the Merkel with very good results. Just a bit pricey at $70+ a flat for upland shooting. But they do produce results.
Also looking into the Kent 2.5". I think the biggest shot we can get in them is #6 though. The RST is making a 1 oz load with #5's. Very Happy What a pheasant load for put and take birds over pointers. Very Happy Very Happy

ChopperGuy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Just met with the RST guys at the UP SxS shoot. Picked up some 16 ga loads from them. Excellent results and great guys to deal with.

They are even loading a 2 1/2" copper plated 1 oz load for those that may want them.

They are not cheap, but excellent quality and in real game hunting quantities, not that expensive in the grand scheme of things.
bigric
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

I got some of these today too. $3.99 at Sportsmans, which blew me away because they want something like $7/box for regular game loads. I like the 8-fold crimp, and it has the deep-grooved case like the 10+ year old hulls that I had to cut up to reclaim shot last month. I'm curious to see how many reloads I can get out of these versus my modern 6-folds. I'm up to 4 reloads on some of my stock.