16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Duplex Loads
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience w/ making your own duplex loads? If so, how did you assemble them, what shot sizes did you use, did you use them for hunting or targets, and how did they perform?
XVI

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

I have assembled them--really no secret-some folks blend the shot others stack it according to size---the main thing is not to go over the rated payload---just like any other load Wink
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

i have to know.....just what would they be used for and why would you expect them to perform better than only one shot size? i never bought any of the remington duplex shot loads because it seemed like a gimmick to me. anyone remember that federal offered a triplex load? never was sure what it would be good for!
87016ga
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:56 am  Reply with quote

i have used rem duplex loads in the past......waste of money!
if i need 2 shot sizes, i dig out the citori!!!!!

(my 2 cents)
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:51 am  Reply with quote

In patterning tests we have done at the range we have found very little advantage to duplexing loads. What you usually wind up with is a small amount of the larger sized shot taking over the patterns and becoming the primary killing pellets. You basically wind up with no advantage in range at all because of very low final pellet count in your patterns.
If you plan on duplexing some loads use 80% of the smaller pellet size in the bottom of the shotcup and 20% of the larger size on top of the smaller pellets. Putting the larger pellets in a mix or on the bottom of the shot cup only blows patterns from push through as the pattern is flying.
The best method we have found to increase range is to use a step up method in loading your shells in the shotgun. Using pheasant for an example, if you can hold three shells, then start out with #7 1/2 or 6's for your first shots then have your last shot be #4's. Usually if you don't put them down with the first two then your last shot is the one you need the range with.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:50 am  Reply with quote

About ten years ago, I got the bright idea to make up and test a bunch of duplex loads. If I remember correctly the idea was to have some heavier pellets in the load for very windy days on Texas quail and to have a one load shell when pheasant hunting and got into quail and vice versa. I made up the following loads in 12 gauge.

1. 1 1/8 ounce with 7/8th ounce of # 8's and 1/4 ounce of # 6's.

2. 1 1/8th ounce with 7/8th ounce of 7 1/2's and 1/4 ounce of # 5's.

3. 1 1/8th ounce with 3/4 ounce of #8's and 3/8th ounce of # 6's.

4. 1 1/8th ounce with 3/4 ounce of 7 1/2's and 3/8th ounce of # 5's.

5. 1 1/4 ounce with 7/8th ounce of # 8's and 3/8th ounce of # 6's.

6. 1 1/4 ounce with 7/8th ounce of # 71/2's and 3/8th ounce of # 5's.

7. 1 1/4 ounce with 3/4 ounce of # 8's and 1/2 ounce of # 6's.

8. 1 1/4 ounce with 3/4 ounce of 7 1/2's and 1/2 ounce of # 5's.

As a control, I used identical loads (case/wad/primer/ powder) with just one shot size.

I would use the appropriate charge bar to drop the load and then add a weighed charge of the other pellets. I tried it with both the heavier pellets on
the bottom and on the top of the shot charge.

In pattern testing, with the heavier pellets on top, the loads were within the parameters of the choke tested, but there was no advantage in the pattern with the heavier pellets. They would be throughout the pattern.

With the heavier pellets on the bottom, the percentages were usually considerably weaker and the heavier pellets would be "clumped" in groups throughout the pattern, but usually to the outside of the pattern.

I tested them in the field and saw no discernible difference in shell to bird ratio than when using a shell with just one shot size.

Conclusion: It wasn't worth the effort, but I didn't know that until I tried it.
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:34 am  Reply with quote

Most hunters try duplex laods thinking they will get better knockdown power or a slight increase in range. As was posted single pellet sized loads work just as well as duplex loads, and there really is no advantage to duplexing pellet sizes.
Over the years in an effort to increase range a bit in some loads, I have come ot the conclusion that increasing the speed of your loads is the best way to gain a slight range advantage using the same sized shot. Using loads that are at or over 1400 fps usually will give you a 5 -10 yard increased killing range with the same sized shot vs the 1250 -1300 fps range loads. The trick to all this is being able to hold your patterns together which may mean using a slightly tighter choke constriction or different type of load combination( wad powder primer etc).
I have found that IMR 7625, 4756 and Hodgdons Longshot powder make some of the best high speed loads for the 16 ga, Longshot being the biggest eye opener out there.
We have used Longshot for the past three years in loads between 1450 and 1585 fps for all of our dove hunting. What we have seen is a marked increase in the range we can solidly hit doves even fast high flying doves. I usually load 1 oz of hard #7 1/2 shot in listed 1500 fps Longshot loadings (chronographed to 1474 fps on average in testing) for my 16 ga guns. Patterning testing we get solid well spaced patterns through most of the chokes tested, I use a modified for early season and full choke for later season dove hunting, with pheasant I usually use a full choke and it is good for 45 yards with #6 hard lead shot.
Increasing the speed of you loads really helps, most of the factory ammo out there for the 16 ga is lame at best, try the speed advantage.
87016ga
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:00 am  Reply with quote

amen to that.....i'm a reformed "magnumitis addict" who saw the light after seeing poor patterning results and watching game-farm chickens fly away unscathed using factory duplex loads.