16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New box of Western Super X Mark 5 shells!!
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Was out filling the skeet houses with birds this morning prior to shooting and one of the club members handed me a NEW (yellow/red) box of Western SUPER X MARK 5 16 ga shells. This box is full (25 shells) - 3 1/4 drams 1 1/8 oz 6 shot. NO creases, tears in box. Original blue ink grocery stamp price on top (3.05). Shells are PERFECT - appear to never have been removed from box or chambered. Writing on shells is crisp and clear. Box marked with blue triangle on front with white lettering - ALL NEW PLASTIC.

Wonder when manufactured?

What is box/shells worth (given to me of course - came out of a retired couples closet who were moving into apartment)?

NO I won't be selling or shooting these - pays to shoot 16 and be in the right place at the right time Very Happy

Dr. 16 Gauge
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

bc,
Nice grab for a collection or even just a display. I have no idea what they are worth though.

I scored something similar a while back. A guy found out I was shooting a 16 and brought me 2 full boxes of Super X shells also. Only problem is, they were slugs. LOL Not very good for shooting birds or target shooting. I put both of them in my so called collection.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

They were introduced about 62' and do not have alot of collector interest. I did, however, once trade 15 assorted Mark 5 boxes and some cash for a 16g. Ithaca M-37 at a gun show once Very Happy

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

bclays--they are worth nothing and possibly contain hazardous materials-I will gladly stop by on my way to Sparta and pick 'em up Wink Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

If memory serves, these were mid-60's--early 1970's vintage and I remember my Grand Dad buying some like it, but in 20 gauge, at a hardware store in Martinsville, Illinois and paying about $2.55 a box; this would have been 1967 or so....

bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter:

Are you going to Sparta this week for the grand prelims? I have "orientation" meetings Thursday and Friday this week - might go down on Saturday.

There has been LOTS of press about the opening event and the complex.

I'm definitely attending the Grand the second week - any other 16 ga society members doing the same?

Dr. 16 Gauge
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

watch for a pm
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
bclays--they are worth nothing and possibly contain hazardous materials-I will gladly stop by on my way to Sparta and pick 'em up Wink Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Aren't you just the helpful 'ole sole. Razz Ya want my 2 boxes of slugs too. Very Happy

brdhnt
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

BC,

If I remember correctly, Winchester was the last major company to make the switch to all plastic shells in I believe 1965. They had a African Professional Hunter (PWH) named David Ormany (sp?) doing their promotions for the shells. They brought him over to the U.S. to hunt birds with the new Super-X shells and in every ad, he always said that these new plastic Super-X shells were as reliable as the Super-X cartridges he used in Africa (.375 H&H, .458 Win. and .338 Win) if I remember correctly.

One of my hunting mentors always used a Browning "Sweet 16" with a 26 IC barrel and Winchester Super-X 1 1/8th ounce 7 1/2's for EVERYTHING!! In 1963, I had a box of Remington's new plastic Express loads (in 16 gauge) that I showed him as soon as I got in the truck. His reply:

"Put those green shells on the dashboard and let them ripen and use these good red shells instead."

I know it was 63, because my Dad had bought me a 16 gauge double for my birthday that year. I know it was a couple of years later (probably 65) when Winchester switched to plastic Super-X shells and Mr. Kilgore drove all over the state buying up all of the old paper shells he could find. He passed on in 72 while I was overseas and I often wondered how many cases of paper shells he had left. His "Sweet 16" went to a non-huntng relative, but I did get one of his S&W .38-44 HD revolvers that he had carried on the Border Patrol.

What I remember even with the "Old-timer's disease" that I have now.

TMB
________
Motorcycle tires

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:38 am  Reply with quote

The Sweet 16 is a fine piece; I hunted with a kid in the 60's who used one. It was a 28" plain-barrel mod choke that he used on everything, as I did then with a Wingmaster 870 barreled and choked the same way. I hope my buddy still has his Sweet 16, wherever he is.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

brdhnt has a good memory! I went through some old ARs and the David Ommanney (now that's a name Very Happy ) Winchester ads were 64' and 65'.