16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Lefever Nitro Case Colors
shanebevel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:22 pm  Reply with quote

Hey folks... I really like these little guns. I have a 20ga and would like to have a 16 and a 12 as well. I'll skip the 410... the prices are way too high for what the gun is.

However, I saw this one and I was shocked. I have never seen a Nitro Special that had this much vivid case coloring left. Much less this much bluing on the bbls.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331823567

So.... who thinks it's been restored? Ad seems to say it has now.

Shane
scraggley
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:18 am  Reply with quote

Based on the dozen or more Ithaca shotguns I have owned over the years it's MHO that this is original and not restored.

Art

last dollar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:17 am  Reply with quote

I agree, It is vwey nice and I think original...
top_cat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:20 am  Reply with quote

My 1925 Flues has that much case coloring on it - and the same good bluing on the barrels. The condition was so good I spent way too much money getting the stock redone to fit me. But I'm happy anyway.

Tom
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:24 am  Reply with quote

I haven't seen a lot of Nitros but I've never seen one with a stock/pistol grip and checkering like this one. You might post these pix on doublegunshop.com for opinions.

Last edited by fin2feather on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
shanebevel
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:26 am  Reply with quote

Thanks gentlemen. It's funny when you are used to looking at guns that have been used hard and put food on the table for nearly a century, you forget how nice they may have looked in the beginning. I think I'll take a shot at getting this one. It would by no means match my 20, but would be a nice one to have for sure!

I bought the 20 on a whim for $300 and I absolutely love it. With 3/4oz of #7.5s out of a 2.5" shell it is a woodcock machine. Light to carry and quick with a short LOP.

Shane
Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:33 am  Reply with quote

I'm not a Lefever expert, but the case coloring doesn't look original to me. You could check on this sites section that shows CC examples of different guns. I cant remember if a nitro example is posted. I also don't think the wood finish is original because in the picture that shows the underside of the forearm, you can see where some new finish ran over from the outside into the inside of the lip. Also, the checkering pattern on the stock is rounded on the back of the border versus more pointed.

All that said, does it matter to you? Its a nice looking piece at a good price. You'll enjoy it for many years! I have a 16 and 20 in the Ithaca version of this, the western arms long range gun. If the Nitro's trend like the Ithacas, you may find the 16 to be @ 3/4lb heavier. Good luck bidding!

JeffL
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:33 am  Reply with quote

It could just be a lighter part of the stock wood, but is that a chip repair at the top of the left cheek?
WHEAT
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:14 am  Reply with quote

I say go for it!!! I really like this gun alot. I am tempted to bid on it myself, but I won't since you are. You have good taste! Regards RB Wink

fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:24 am  Reply with quote

As Savage16 says, unless originality is important to you, if you like the gun, why not?

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
bearrowland
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

I'd take her either way....really sharp looking shotgun!

stubshaft
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

It doesn't matter to me if it is original or not. I would be proud of it either way.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

The stock has big chip repairs on the upper tangs (they take the brunt of the recoil) and has been refinished and the checkering re-cut, so it's quite possible the colors have been re-done as well. Not a bad gun, but those chip repairs can come back to haunt you if they aren't fixed well. I'd pass if it were me, especially at that price. Spend just a little more and get an actual side plated Syracuse Lefever instead of an Ithaca made nitro special, which has absolutely nothing in common with actual Lefevers other than the name. You won't regret it. Wink

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

Here's what you need:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Lefever-Sidelock-16-GA.cfm?gun_id=100313620

If you're patient and look at the different auction sites, you can find these in the $6-800 range all day long.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
shanebevel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in responding here. I have been out of town chasing dogs in trials.

Anyhow, yes, I saw the chip repair in the larger photos that the seller sent me. That convinces me that it's likely been restored and the case colors have have been as well. It wouldn't have mattered at the price I bid cause I liked the gun, but at the higher prices now, I'll likely pass.

I bid a modest amount on it because I like the guns. Yes Dan, they don't have anything in common with "true" lefever guns. I am well aware of the differences, but I like these little boxlocks. (boxlocks in general in fact) I have a 20 nitros special that is not at all in pristine condition, but shoots for me like a magic wand. It's light and short and makes a wonderful woodcock gun. I'd like to have a 16 and 12 to sit beside it in the safe and keep the Foxes at bay. They tend to tease.

Anyhow, I am out of the bidding, so please jump in there and win it. They are neat little guns and handle and shoot great for the amount of money you can usually get them for. The beauty of this one certainly helps.

PS... my 20 has the same chip... except it's not been repaired.

Shane