16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Apparently ambient temperature matters
Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

A couple of weekends ago, I decided to load up some clays shells for my 16ga. I have a PW 375 with a new 16ga conversion kit. The outside temp was 95 but felt comfortable in the garage as it usually does in Colorado at that temperature. The reloading components had been in the house in air conditioning before I started reloading. The first couple of dozen shells that I loaded came out fine. But then the shells started to get an occasional crinkle in them at the final crimping station above the top of the die. It finally dawned on me that the plastic hulls had softened from the heat after warming to the ambient temperature of the garage. I quit for the day and resumed reloading the next weekend when the temps were in the 70s and shells came out perfectly as they had when I was reloading in the spring. The hulls are the Multi-hulls from BP. Has anyone else had this same experience?

bigric
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:08 pm  Reply with quote

I get this sometimes when loading Heavy Dove hulls in 12 gauge. It's always been 90+ degrees in the garage; I hadn't thought to try it indoors or cool the hulls first.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:20 am  Reply with quote

Don't forget your humidty levels were also quite different. Some powders are more affected by this than others, which will mean they will absorb moisture coming from a dry environment like your air conditioned house to a more humid environment like the garage. Try this.. weigh up a few charges of the powder you were using after it sits in the house for few days, then leave it out in the garage and weigh some up...you may be quite surprised. Always check your powder drop weights after the powder has been allowed to sit for a while in the area you intend to load in.
Another note... some powders are also more affected by heat and humidty than others, Winchester 540/HS-6 and Winchester 571/ HS-7 are prime examples of this, 571/HS-7 being the worse of the two. Chronographing loads in 80 degree temperatures and then in 32 degree temperatures we have noted velocity drops in the 100 fps range with HS-7/571. Blue Dot is another powder I don't like in very warm temperatures, giving more than expected results on several occasions. I usually use a slightly slower burning powder for my warm weather shooting loads, such as Green Dot for target loads and IMR 4756 for early season dove loads.