16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Slow cooked pheasant
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:53 am  Reply with quote

Knew it would only be a matter of time before someone posted a cream of mushroom soup recipie.
You could cook a possum with cream of mushroom soup over it, be no difference.
Just don't understand one, why the need to slow cook it in a crock pot, and really can't understand the cream of mushroom soup.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:16 am  Reply with quote

I've done the cream of mushroom soup thing like most of us, and drag it out when I'm too busy to be creative at camp, but I still try to do a more respectable job of such fine fare as game birds. I've also been blessed to eat at the table of others, namely Southern women with rural upbringings who could feed 10 grown men three times a day while seeing to the domestic help and managing the canning, curing, and preserving operations of a family farm. Lightly fried quail in a skillet, squirrel pie, cathead biscuits and redeye gravy, fig preserves and dewberry jam.

Sorry, I got completely carried away, all of those women in my life are dead and gone. Reno

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:01 am  Reply with quote

TPS
Wow, do I understand !!!

I am married to a wonderful woman (43 years now) who can cook
anything Shocked

I shoot it, I clean it, she cooks it, we eat it, I clean up in more ways
than one Cool

From rural Louisiana, birthed our two kids in Montana, held down the fort
while I was traipsing around the world, and now is a TEXAN.

I am BLESSED

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
brdhunter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:39 am  Reply with quote

Hootch is apparently set in his ways & does not want to try anything new - try it you may like it

bigboyd4466
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:53 am  Reply with quote

I think the OP asked for recipes , not judgement on the method

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Havilah Babcock said anything's good if you have enough gravy. Guess the same could be said for cream of mushroom soup Very Happy .

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:22 am  Reply with quote

Hey, if you use Campbell's, it's Mmm Mmm GOOD!

Maybe Hootch wouldn't be so upset and my recipe would be less ridiculous if it had only the cream of celery. Smile Recipe snobbery is something new to me. Funny though, regardless of mean-spirited judgement, we can taste the pheasant despite the insufficiently sophisticated sauce.

Jay
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:48 am  Reply with quote

I once calculated, minus what I think my time is worth, what it cost per pound of dead gobbler during a season years ago. I figured that meat had cost me $49.00 per pound. I try and do it justice and soup still plays a role in some if my recipes. Now if I could just sit down at Skeettx's supper table, I'd be blessed doubly.

Reno

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

You are most welcome!!
Remember, I graduated High School
in Whitewater, Wisconsin,
Class of 1967,
the home of the Whitewater Whippets Smile

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:03 am  Reply with quote

Another way: slow braise the whole bird in whatever liquid, herbs and vegetables you like (more about that later) until the meat is coming freely off the bone. Remove the bird and get all the meat off the frame. Reserve the liquid and veggies. Cut/break the meat into bitesize chunks. If you used whole carrots, celery, etc., cut them bite-sized, too. Make a blonde roux. Mix the roux and braising liquid then add the meat and veggies, maybe some herbs (I add fines herbes to what seems like everything. YMMV.), and bring together. Maybe add a little cream or mill to thicken and enrich. Serve over fresh biscuits.

Obviously, the choice of braising liquid will depend on where the recipe is going. I wouldn't go with a braise based around red wine b/c that doesn't seem to work as well when making what's basically a white sauce.

No set recipe but you get the idea. And this allows one to avoid tossing the parts that might otherwise be too tough to eat or get at - legs and backs.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:03 am  Reply with quote

Another way: slow braise the whole bird in whatever liquid, herbs and vegetables you like (more about that later) until the meat is coming freely off the bone. Remove the bird and get all the meat off the frame. Reserve the liquid and veggies. Cut/break the meat into bitesize chunks. If you used whole carrots, celery, etc., cut them bite-sized, too. Make a blonde roux. Mix the roux and braising liquid then add the meat and veggies, maybe some herbs (I add fines herbes to what seems like everything. YMMV.), and bring together. Maybe add a little cream or milk to thicken and enrich. Serve over fresh biscuits.

Obviously, the choice of braising liquid will depend on where the recipe is going. I wouldn't go with a braise based around red wine b/c that doesn't seem to work as well when making what's basically a white sauce.

No set recipe but you get the idea. And this allows one to avoid tossing the parts that might otherwise be too tough to eat or get at - legs and backs.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
I filet off the breast meat for panfrying for one meal. I put 2 debreasted carcasses in the crockpot for @ 4 hrs or til its fall off bone then remove the meat from the bones. That goes into either white chili or an easy pot pie recipe. Just made some of the white chili this week.

I'm onboard here. I bone out both breasts and thighs, pound them all with a mallet until thin and tenderized, dredge them in an egg wash and then seasoned flour, and fry them to a turn in olive oil which has been first used to saute some onions and garlic. The sauted onions and garlic plus a dash of white wine are then used to make a seasoned flour and milk gravy to be served over the breasts.

I used to save everything else to make a slow simmered stew (sans bones) for the dog. She deserved her share of the take did she not? Very Happy
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

I'm getting hungry for that recipe. Reno

pdparks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:55 am  Reply with quote

This is my favorite way to cook pheasant right now.
It is not a slow cooker recipe, but it is easy to cook in one skillet.

Pheasant with Cider

• 4 pheasant breasts, 4 pheasant thighs
• 1 cup onions – diced
• 2/3 bottle Woodchuck Hard Cider (Angry Orchard works good.
• Sea salt, fresh ground pepper, Old Bay seasoning
• 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
Season chicken with Old Bay, sea salt, and pepper.
Sear chicken in olive oil on high heat for approx. 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken from heat. Add butter and onions. Sautee onions on high heat while scraping bottom of pan to incorporate seasonings. When onions have carmelized, add chicken back to the pan with a little more Old Bay. Pour approx. 2/3 bottle of Woodchuck Hard Cider in pan and bring to a boil.
I boil until the sauce thickens like gravy.

Try this and see what you think. It works good for Chukers also.

gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:51 am  Reply with quote

pdparks wrote:
This is my favorite way to cook pheasant right now.

Season chicken with Old Bay, sea salt, and pepper.
Sear chicken in olive oil on high heat for approx. 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken from heat. Add butter and onions. Sautee onions on high heat while scraping bottom of pan to incorporate seasonings. When onions have carmelized, add chicken back to the pan with a little more Old Bay.

What happened to the pheasant? Smile

Sorry pdparks, couldn't help it. Do have a detail question -- that 2/3 bottle is for a how many oz. bottle of cider?

Jay