16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Strap vest help
L Kenney
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

My annual and so far unsuccessful search for a new strap vest to replace an old and decomposing Columbia thing that I bought 30 years ago has started. I'm familiar with most of what's available and so far haven't warmed to much of what I've seen. That's personal weirdness here and no criticism of anyone else's choices. I hunt CA, NV, MT for the usual suspects so a strap vest lets me vary clothing to suit different weather conditions. I'd like to find something with a waist belt to take the load off my shoulders, unpadded shoulder straps that don't interfere with gun mount, a game bag that will hold three pheasants, decent and accessible shell pockets, space to carry a map, an energy bar and a dog biscuit or two, and a way to hold or attach either water bottles or a hydration bladder and and a rain shell or fleece shirt if I choose to do so (and do it without banging my butt every time I take a step). Some blaze orange would be nice too, but isn't mandatory. Filson's strap vest seems close but even Shelter Cloth is heavy, and there's got to be something with a little more room and I'd really prefer Fastex buckles. Someone on another board mentioned a vest by Wing Works but I can't find a website. Ideas? I'd hate to have to learn to sew.
IFL16's
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

This may be what you're looking for: http://www.mosquitocreekoutdoors.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/bl_strap_vest.html?L+scstore+hpzb9051+1155866615 It does have a padded strap but it also has a chest strap that you can tighten which pulls the strap over far enough to be out of the way for shooting. I've used one for the last two years wild chukar hunting and have no complaints.

Larry
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

Same folks offer the Mother packs: http://www.mosquitocreekoutdoors.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/backpack_mother.html?E+scstore

rpm
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Take a look at the Quilomene ( www.quilomene.com ) as they make a darn nice vest. I used to own one but it's really overkill as I'm not away from the truck long enough to have to tote around a bunch of birds for too long. I believe it will have everything you are looking for +. Good luck.
L Kenney
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

I ordered a Mother a year ago but sent it back. Even the light one seemed more of a pack than a vest, made me feel like a space walker, and I didn't like size or placement of the shell pockets. The Pella is interesting and a guy at their booth at the Shot Show showed me how to adjust it. I'm still leery of the padded shoulder straps, and the chest strap feels odd. And why pad the shoulder straps if the idea is to put the weight on your hips? I do like the shell pockets and game bag, and the way it places extra gear high on the back where it doesn't slap around. Since my old vest is no longer merely disreputable but decomposing, I'll probably choose between the Pella and the Filson. But I'd like to get a look at the Wing Works vest before I buy anything else.
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

Nothing fancy but I bought one at Cabela's that will serve my purpose. Not as many pockets for guys that are traveling a long ways from their trucks and are required to carry all sorts of things, but it will be fine for me.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Cabela's new Ultimate Strap Vest looks like a good compromise:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat470076&id=0005231941014a&navCount=1&podId=0005231&parentId=cat601752&navAction=push&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601752&hasJS=true

brdhnt
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:59 am  Reply with quote

I have used a strap vest for over twenty years as my primary vest.

I have used every model out there and do not care for the Quilene since it is a great special purpose vest for chukars and western quail where you need water and a small game bag. I agree that the mother is more pack than vest. A young friend of mine had one on a pheasant hunt last year and was disappointed with it for carrying pheasants and acess to shells.

There are three vests that I highly recommend having used all three of them to the point of wearing a couple out. Some of the areas I hunt in the SW with cactus, mesquite and cat claw will shred a high quality vest in a season and a low quality vest in one day. Shocked

My criteria for a vest are comfort, accessibility of shells and other gear and the ability to load a pheasant or other bird in the vest without having to take it off or get help from another person. Good weight distributing straps are a must. A weight distributing belt is nice but if it has good straps and can be properly fitted the belt is not an absolute necessity. My hunting seasons run from September to February and may see temperatures from 100 degrees above to 30 below. I currently have three strap vests that I use interchangeably.

My favorite is a Orvis "Open Prairie" Strap vest. Plenty of room for gear and game, mesh backing so it does not get too hot and the best pocket closure system (spring steel) on the two large gear pockets. The one I have now has two separate water bottle pockets and a small gear pocket on the back. It also has straps for jacket, rain gear, etc. to be stored on the bottom. I have literally worn holes in two of these over the last ten years and the one I have now will hopefully make it through this season.

Second is the Peller "BirdnLite". A very good vest with a weight supporting belt and plenty of room. If they quit making the Orvis, this will easily be my # 1 vest. Lots of pockets and attachments straps yet still more game vest than pack.

Third is the Cabela's "Ultimate Strap Vest". It is cloth instead of mesh, so I wear it more in colder weather. The one I have is a year old and the cloth has not stood up as well to mesquite and cat claw as the cloth in the Peller vest has. Still a good vest, much better than the other strap vests out there.

A lot of folks like the Filson, but unless you have very long arms (I don't) it is difficult to get game in the game bag without taking the vest off. I've only met two people who can put a pheasant in the Filson game bag without help or without taking the vest off and both have about a 36 inch sleeve length.

I won a very nice McAlister Strap Vest one year. I could not get it to adjust comfortably for me where it carried the weight evenly and I did not like the snap pockets on it.

My Experiences.

TMB
________
Ladder Day Saints - Mormonism Forum

Last edited by brdhnt on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:48 am  Reply with quote

That's the one I just bought Rev. It seemed like it had most if not all of what I would want and need in a strap vest. Appears it will hold a "few" birds too. Wink
Besides the price wasn't bad. Smile

hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:48 am  Reply with quote

have the quilomene, love it. Have the Mothers, love it, have 2 of the pella's in the med-lg, hate them(seemed like a good idea at the time we were at the sportsman show). Tried the xl-xxl and that wouldn't work either.
you want a deal on a pella drop me a note.
L Kenney
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:33 am  Reply with quote

Thanks gents, for all the suggestions and comments. I've not looked at the Orvis Open Prairie except on a catalog page but rejected it because it ddn't have a waist belt and because the storage pocket was mounted so low. Cabela's Ultimate Strap best is OK but again, that low pocket on the back bugs me. I'll try to check one out at an Orvis store nearby. I'll also be looking at a Filson tomorrow, and if anyone knows where I can get a look at a Wing Works vest (I think Chukarman posted on it on the Upland board), please let me know.