16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Stevens 311 and 5100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:49 am  Reply with quote

I need a quick education on these guns. I'm finding conflicting or no information, which may be a result of confusing model numbers and the Springfield/Savage/Stevens thing.

When was the 311 mfrd? 1926-45, as one source says, or discontinued in 1989?

Same question for the 5100. And did many or all of them have the tenite stock? Is that to be avoided (doesn't appeal to me).

What are the basic differences between the 311 and 5100. Is one essentially an upgrade fo the other, or is the story more complicated?

And price? I think the Blue Book is of little help here, if Gunbroker and GunsAmerica are any guide. But for a 311 that supposedly wasn't shot much but does have some light exterior rust and a 1/4" "scratch" in one bore, I think $380 is too high.

Thanks, as always, for any help you can provide.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:05 am  Reply with quote

The 311 was continued into the 80's. It's my understanding that it came out in 1931 (hence the number), or may have been renumbered at that point, because that's about when Savage acquired Stevens. I don't believe the 5100 survived the war, although I could be wrong on that. There's not a lot of difference between the two models, and you have to go back quite a ways (before the Savage years) to find any higher grade Stevens doubles. Tenite stock . . . the legend I always heard was that it was due to a shortage of gunstock wood during the war. Not true. It was a cost-saving measure--the Tenite-stocked guns sold for about $2 cheaper, and were available before the war started. Personally, I'd avoid them. They kick like the devil--don't absorb recoil nearly as well as wood. $380 for a 16ga 311 with exterior rust . . . I would not pay that much, but then the Cowboy Action guys have bumped up the prices of the lower end doubles.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:59 am  Reply with quote

Not all the 5100's had tenite stocks; I have 3 with checkered walnut.

According to the guys over on the Savage collectors and Savage shooters boards (admittedly more rifle than shotgun oriented) Savage started putting date codes on their guns in 1949; somewhere on the gun should be an oval stamp with a letter and a number; the number is the inspector's number and the letter started with "A" in '49, one letter per year. None of my 5100's have a date code, so most agree they pre-date 1949.

However the motto over there with regard to Savage is "Never say never" (or maybe it's "Never say always": I forget.

The problem with the 311 is that it lasted too long; that last ones were pretty grim: big clubby wood, parts that have aged to a wierd plum color (aluminum?), etc. I like my 5100's just fine, but wouldn't care to own one of the later 311's. JMHO.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:04 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, Larry. You're a veritable font of knowledge Cool .

Edit: Fin, I appreciate your help, too. Our posts crossed in cyberspace, so I didn't know you had replied when I posted.

The board is slow again today . . .
ioannes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Hey 662

My dad bought me a new 311 12ga in 1968 for my birthday to grouse hunt in Ohio. I still have the gun and use it for hunting and an occasional skeet shoot.

The gun has been a workhorse for me and I would never sell it. In fact I have been watching the market for a 311 16 ga.

But I would never pay over $300 dollars for a 311 even if it was in excellent shape and would never purchase one made into the 70's.

I know someone who did and it was just not the same quality. Crying or Very sad

ioannes