16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Elsie
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:17 am  Reply with quote

Question: When and where did the nickname "Elsie" come into being? When I was a kid none of the old farts (guys who are about my age now) ever referred to the guns as "Elsie". They were always referred to as LC Smith or Smith. Nor do I recall Brophy using the term "Elsie" in his book nor have I ever seen a reprinted Hunter Arms ad that used the term. I can't recall O'Conner or Major Askins or Keith ever using the term in their old books. Was "Elsie" a regional nickname that has gone national in the last 20 years or so? I kinda cringe whenever I hear it because I grew up hearing the guns referred to as LC Smith.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:23 am  Reply with quote

I think "Elsie" came from the L.C. Just a guess Laughing
Mesmerist
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

I was with the "Gentlemen of the South" from 1962 to present. I mean TN, GA. NC, SC, VA. And it was always stated as " See that man there, he shoots a "Smith Gun" (A LeFever Gun, A Fox Gun, ect.) Seems almost disrecpectful to nick name an " American Classic" Good Shooting , The Mesmerist
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Even in years gone by men had to sneak guns into the house.Elsie was a codeword between men meaning they had brought a REAL gun into the house undetected by the spouse.This codeword could also be used outside the household."Yeah me and Elsie spent the day together."Only those in the know had a clue what was actually going on Wink
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:24 am  Reply with quote

I don't think the term "Elsie" shows any disrespect. It is a diminuitive but affectionate reference to "LC".

As far as it's being code so the women dont know you've been out looking at another gun it wont work, using another womans name is just bad planning..... I think "Smith" would have been better.

As evidence I'll offer the common affectionate diminuitive applied to the Ithaca design created by Emil Flues (The Flues Model). aka "Floosie"

Spending time with a Floosie was ok with the wife as long as you brought home some nice grouse breasts.

By the way, Emil is taking his dirt nap in grouse country near Midland, Michigan.

How's that for useless info and opinion?

Jeff