16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Are we Ready?
Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Many states have a September 1st or mid September opening date for upland birds and I am wondering how prepared we are? Unless you have the luxury of being able to call home your base camp then reservations need to be made or your trailer & tents given a once over. Gear needs to be checked, ammo supplies verified and an assurance that your favorite 16 is in good shape. Maybe a shopping trip or catalog order. Dogs should be well on their way to good physical conditioning and those of us that have, shall we say, a depth of experience could probably use some conditioning. A trip to the range might be in order.

So how prepared are we?
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

In the back of my hunting truck are dove decoys (barb wire, tree, aerial, and wind spinners),
rebar, hammer, dove bucket, sunscreen, bug spray, cleaning rod, 410 ammo.

In the house is wallet with license, water jug and shotguns Daly 410 O/U and Brittany 410 SXS.

All is at the ready. Hunting ground is about 15 minutes from the house

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

NY16ga
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

I know I have plenty of shells and my gear is generally in good shape. The dog and I, on the other hand, are not. Planning to ramp up the exercise for both of us between now and our Oct 1st opener. I wasn't sure I'd be able to do any more than my usual grouse and woodcock hunting here in NY with a few ducks thrown in. Now its looking like I'll have a few days in Maine too and maybe even enough time/money to get out to the midwest after bobwhites for a few days in the winter, something I've really wanted to do for awhile now.
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

I'm ready, just waiting for the Labor Day folks to go back to work and leave the mountains to moi. Very Happy
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

Dove season here opens Sept. 27th. I have my 16 gauges and my 20 gauge Citori ready, and have plenty of shells. I am looking forward to it. My Hunt Test champion Lab, Charley, died a few months ago and I am too old and and stove up to get another dog to train. Some days I can barely walk. Dove and squirrel are no problem as I just have to walk a little ways and then sit. I may go on a paid preserve pheasant hunt w/ the guides dogs later this winter, and that's about it.
xvigauge

Leicadave
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

No dove shooting in NJ, but we're going for rails in the old pirogues on the 2nd. It'll be 28 ga. guns, however, one Hungarian hammer, one Spanish for me; an old Ithaca 28 for my buddy.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

Pretty excited! Only started hunting in jan. This will be my first, living, moving target (deer & turkey seem to pose for the shot).

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

Well that's seven of us that are ready. Good Luck tomorrow Mike and it sounds like NY16ga has a full season planned. jschultz you have a sweet deal just leaving from the ranch to go hunting. XVIgauge you should enjoy your time at the preserve because it sure beats not hunting. Leica and Charlie you folks enjoy your seasons.

I leave Sept 19th for the Upper Peninsula and should return in early November. I will spend a month or more in the central U.P and then move over to the western end for a couple of weeks. I have been on a couple of scouting trips and I have more cover identified than I will get to.

The pup is yard trained but not ready for birds so he probably will not hunt this fall. I will take the 3 and 13 year olds along and nearly all of my hunting buddies have dogs. I am really looking forward to the fourth season with the 3 year old because he was good last season and I think he is going to be great this year. The older one I hunt every other day or so but she still moves well and other than working at a slower pace is in amazing condition.

Good Hunting,
Mike
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:18 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
In the back of my hunting truck are dove decoys (barb wire,

Mike

When I first read that I thought you had a supply of Barb wire (possibly Concertina) in your truck and I was wondering if that was to keep the Riffraff OUT- or possibly IN- but then I re-read it and understand that you have dove decoys designed to attach to a berb-wire fence. Smile
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:17 am  Reply with quote

Don't forget the Federal HIP license for migratory birds....It's free, btw. Gil
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:21 am  Reply with quote

Well 4 boxes of rio #7 bluesteel later I have a 15 bird limit in the freezer! Sad to say my 12 ga wingmaster had to do the work till I get into reloading Crying or Very sad

No other way to put it but fast and exciting!

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31