16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Need Help
chopper
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

Anxiously awaiting news of the weight....
steve schultz
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

7lbs even
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

Well there you go. Its your money and your gun. Hope it suits you right down to the ground. you did not say what length barrels it has. I'm guessing 28".

However, I knew the gun had to weigh at least a 1/4 pound more than a Lightning of equal barrel length. The 525 stock is massive in comparison.
steve schultz
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

Your right but i still like the looks of the gun and I like the way the gun comes up(in my limited amount of handling). The lightnings all were about the same weight. If they would have made the Classic Feather I would got one of those. Maybe in the future a trade if they do.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

I'd have to strongly disagree here about weight. the 28" Lightning averages about 6.75 lbs., while the 26" model hovers right around 6.5 lbs. A 1/4 lb. more might not seem like a lot, but once you go over 6-3/4 pounds, that extra 1/4 pound feels heavy as the day wears on. 6-3/4 lbs. is about the average guy's limit for toting a gun comfortably all day.

However, I don't think the 525 was designed as much for upland hunting as for recreational target work. However, virtually none of the organized shotgun target disciplines recognize the 16 ga. for competition. So just why these 525 guns were ordered is a bit perplexing. I suppose somebody figured they'd sell to folks looking for something new. We will see how it goes in the next year or so. I'm more than happy with my 16 ga Lightning models. They fit right into upland bird hunting fine. Each to his own.
steve schultz
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:45 am  Reply with quote

The 16ga Lightning I looked at in the gunstore was right at 7lbs. I'm guessing wood density has something to do with it. So the only differance for the choices I had were the styles. If I had wanted to shop around I may have been able to find something lighter.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:11 am  Reply with quote

That particular gun is a fairly rare exception. I'd not expect to see that much weight on a 28" grade I citori in one out of a hundred. Even 90 percent of the grade III, VI, and Grand Lightnings don't weigh that much regularly.

I'd say you would not have to look to far to find a grade I that will beat the weight of a 28" 525 by a substantial margin. However, you've informed us your mind is made up, so your search is over.
Square Load
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:16 am  Reply with quote

My 28" Grade I Citori weighs 6#10oz. or 6#11oz depending on which scale I weigh it on. The stock doesn't have much figure so it is on the light side.

Dennis
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

That is typical. Your gun weighs under 6-3/4 lbs which is 6lb. 12 oz. . My two pre-1994 28" long tangs weigh in at 6lb. 13 ounce. Both have fairly dense wood and some figure. I added a bit of weight to the 1988 gun to have it match the balance of the '87. I recently weighted two 131 series 28" guns with some figure in either. both weighed in at 6 lb. 10 ounces on a lab scale. The 131 series short tang guns are a bit lighter it seems. might be the lack of a steel tang on the trigger guard.
steve schultz
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

I guess life goes on. My 6lb 1912 Sauer hasn't kicked the Browning out of the gun room yet for being to fat.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Well look on the bright side. If you get tired of lugging it around, there is enough wood there to carve out an extra stock. Laughing