16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New Browning A5 in 16 or 20 Gauge? maybe?
bird buster
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:14 am  Reply with quote

As a lover of Browning A5 Guns I was skeptical of the new intro. After handling one I am really impressed with the feel of new A5 but not interested in a 12 gauge since I only hunt upland game. Who would be interested in seeing Browning make this gun on a properly scaled frame in of course 16 gauge first or maybe 20 gauge? If done properly this gun should weigh around 6.25 lbs maybe 6.5. I have contacted Browning via email with inquiry. Please do so also if interested. Browning at least seems open to 16 gauge guns on special runs and I figure would be only mfg. Open to a 16 gauge auto. Maybe if enough interest is generated it might happen. Never know unless spoken. I would buy gun in 20 but rather have 16. If they feel market is there it could happen. Let Browning hear your feedback.
Black Belt
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:39 am  Reply with quote

I'm right there with you! I've been inquiring on this for a while with Browning. I do own a pair of the 12ga's and love them both! My 26" wood stocked gun weighs just 6.5lbs and cycles 1oz without a hitch so I use this gun for bunnies and upland birds. I would love to see a 16 & 20! I could see Browning coming out with the 20ga first and using their DS tubes in the and perhaps a 16 later using the standard Invector tubes. Based on the two new A5's I have (wood & camo), I would guess that they should be able to make a properly scaled 16ga in the 6.25-6lb range and a 20ga under 6lbs.

Let's keep inquiring of Browning and perhaps they will give it a shot!
bird buster
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:40 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Black Belt for reply and glad to hear the twelves weigh less than listed. I surely hope posts like these will encourage others to contact Browning. Now we must wait and see. With a scaled frame and slimmer stock this gun in 16 or 20 would be an ideal upland auto esp. since it has the lovely hump that just feels and looks right.
Black Belt
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:48 am  Reply with quote

I have a number of the original A5's and the thing I like best about the new ones is that there are not friction rigs to mess with when swapping ammo. Many times I will go from 1oz to 1 1/4oz in the course of a day's hunt depending on the cover and terain being hunted. Wih my original A5's I'd have to swap ring positions to do that. I hope Browning would realize the key to either of,these gauges in an A5 would be scaled frames. Hopefully others will heed the call and contact Browning!
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

I sent an email asking if there were plans for a 16 ga. A5
Here's the response ;

Rick,
We are constantly doing all we can in order to improve our firearm line. I do know that we will not be coming out with a 16 gauge A5 this year. We do release our new products in November. You will want to watch then to see what we are coming out with.
bird buster
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

That is same response they gave me but at least they replied. More inquiries they receive at least they will see interest is there. Lets make it happen.
Black Belt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:40 am  Reply with quote

Is there an email address we can post for people to send inquiries to?
bird buster
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:30 am  Reply with quote

Blackbelt, those interested can contact Browning via email at following: answers@browning.com
Black Belt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that, bird buster. I hope everyone here could take a moment to shoot Browning a message requesting they make the A5 in 16ga. Even if people don't want one, it is great to have options and may be the gun that gets someone else into 16's.
Woodduc
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

sent e-mail thanking browning for continued support of 16ga. shotguns and asked to consider making new a5 in scaled version 16 and 20 ga.

1937 Standard A5-poly
1947 Ithaca model 37-full
1956 Remington Wingmaster-imp cyl & mod
1960 "Sweet 16" A5-mod
2015 Browning Citori "White Lightning"
Black Belt
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

I emailed again yesterday and received this very nice message back from Browning CS:

" Jason,
We always appreciate our customers input, as that is what allows us to grow and meet the needs of our customers. I do know that for 2015 the A5 will only be offered in 12 gauge. I will bring this up with the product manager in our next meeting.

Best Regards,
Browning Customer Service
www.Browning.com
800-333-3288
MB"

I think it is worth continuing to contact Browning as I believe that if they feel there is enough interest they may at least do a SHOT Show special run of 16's... Would be nice to see a 20ga then the 16 on a 20ga frame! Just thought I'd share what I had received. Keep fighting the good fight!
bird buster
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

TKS Jason and I do believe you are right. If we keep Browning aware of interest they will probably move forward on. I could see them making an A5 20 as catalog item and doing a Shot Show Special run in 16 gauge. I would buy both. I am always pushing shooters to express their interests .
Black Belt
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

Agreed, BirdBuster. All we can do is let the know there is interest. I would buy both as well; I hunt almost exclusively with A5's (new and old). I would thin my herd to get one of these in each gauge! Hope others will just Browning a quick note too!