16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Thinking about a Sweet Sixteen
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Well I finally got a chance to shoot my Sweet Sixteen. Now I have a problem I shoot it better than my Citori. I practice with a mechanical thrower that you step on to cock and release. It's great because I can use it by myself. I practice like I hunt safety on and gun in a carry position. With my Citori I sometimes don't get the gun mounted perfect and try to use the bead. Usually results in a miss, with the A5 it fit like a glove I was shooting like I did 25 years ago. Just point and shoot, never looking at the bead. I think it's easier to do with a plain barrel then a ribbed. The A5 looks like it has the original recoil spring and was planning on replacing it but so far no jams. I was planning on my Citori being my primary pheasant gun but now I'm having second thoughts.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:34 am  Reply with quote

They don't call them "Sweet" for nothing. Very Happy

Your spring is probably fine.

As springs get old they get weaker, in the process they do not typically cause jams but they do let the gun recoil harder. If a gun still kicks you too hard when set up for heavy loads look to replace the spring. BUT do not throw the old one away. Keep it for shooting real light loads at clay targets.

Jeff