16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 Gauges on the Job
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

Well, unfortunately, it does not take much to inadvertantly transfer a bird's internal juices to any muscle meat. I'll pass thanks. Thank heavens Pheasant tastes so good fried then simmered, then refried to just crisp.

I've eaten a ton of rare venison, elk, moose, bison, antelope, etc. Never once had a problem. I'm meticulous in gutting and cleaning game. I even use a different knife to open the paunch, then wash my hands well after discarding the guts and the stomach before I handle the liver and heart. However, any meat that had even the slightest possibility of coming in comtact with intestinal fluids was thouroughly washed, soaked in lightly salted water with some baking soda thrown in, rinsed, cubed, and set aside for well cooked stew meat. I even roast the rib meat well done with BBQ sauce. Excellent fare.

I just don't take chances with intestinal deseases after my first go round with Sam and Ella many years back when a younger man. I was sick beyond caring. No fun at all. I'd probably not make it through that again.
Square Load
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

I always cook my birds well done but I had never thought about the chance of getting Salmonella from damage to the intestines. Great advice.

Dennis
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Wild duck, pale pink is better than sex, really.

Which reminds me, regarding eating ducks and sex....

Have you all ever read the classic story by Russel Chatham, "The Great Duck Misunderstanding". It's one of the greatest short sporting stories ever written that's not actually about hunting.

Jeff
Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:13 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
The breast meat of young sage grouse, properly prepared, tastes like really good beef. The older bird breast is near inedible.
Breast out the bird and marinade the meat in Wishbone Robusto Italian dressing with lots of chopped fresh garlic. Grill over mesquite until medium rare

revdocdrew - I tried your recipe above and you are right on. The meat was delicious and the flavor leaned more towards beef than fowl. I imagine that same recipe would work for all prairie grouse as well. I will give it a shot on some sharpies that I have left from last season. Very Happy

Thanks - Hc