16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Shipping guns
Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

Birdawg wrote:
It is just best to talk to the ATF and get the employee number of the person who is answering your questions.
Good Luck.

If memory serves, a few months back the government found that between 30 and 50% of questions to the IRS were answered incorrectly. What makes anyone think that the ATF bureaucracy would be any different? If you ask 5 ATF agents the same question you'll likely get 5 different answers. Rolling Eyes
If you're a member (and you ought to be) I believe the NRA still has an office that can provide answers to these kinds of questions.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Birdawg
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Foursquare
If memory serves, a few months back the government found that between 30 and 50% of questions to the IRS were answered incorrectly. What makes anyone think that the ATF bureaucracy would be any different? If you ask 5 ATF agents the same question you'll likely get 5 different answers. Rolling Eyes
If you're a member (and you ought to be) I believe the NRA still has an office that can provide answers to these kinds of questions.

Pete[/quote]

That does give one cause for concern. What if the government people doing the test were 30 to 50% incorrect.

I guess it is just me but, if charged with illegally shipping a firearm I would rather go to any court with documented answers (the reason for the employee number) from the BATF.
Or I guess you could just say "well the NRA said" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:37 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:

...With a few dissenters, the consensus was also to be honest in declaring the contents of the package ie: saying 'machine parts' may violate the law.

A long time ago I took a Rem 700 to my local 'mailboxes r us' facility to have it shipped back to the manufacturer via UPS. It was in the original green\yellow factory box. Upon seeing it, the woman clerk took a step back, her hair went straight up and she shrieked, "We're not allowed to ship GUNS!" I assured her that it was only a 'barreled action' going back to the factory for repairs. Miraculously, she accepted my explanation and off it went.

The Paul Harvey 'rest of the story' is that the bolt was stolen while in Philly police custody after the gun was stolen from my home. I shipped it back to Illion, N. Y. to have a new bolt installed and proofed. Even though I was perfectly legal in sending my owned rifle back to the factory, I had to tippy-toe around an ignorant clerk.

And yes, I know the newest rules require the firearm now be sent via plain brown wrapper, it was not required back in '82.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:23 am  Reply with quote

OK, I started this mess, so now let me try to wrap it up.

As luck would have it, I was going through some old copies of Gun List that my brother gave me, and lo and behold, stumbled onto an article called "Know the Basic Shipping Rules." Date is Feb 24, 2006.

It covers a lot of the ground that was covered here and more. As many of you guys also pointed out, this author admits that you're often at the mercy of an individual's interpretation.

Anyway, I've scanned the article into PDf format (my scanner only does one page at a time, so each of the article's three pages is a separate file).

What should I do with them?? Post as a sticky somewhere? Put on a third party site so anybody can grab it (which site?). Other suggestions?

Unitl comebody comes up with a good idea, I'd be happy to email the files to interested parties, assuming the load is not overwhelming.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Thread updated

Engstfeld
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Steve Smith wrote:
One way I've been doing it when I go hunting out of state and I'll be flying is to ship the gun to myself in care of someone where I'll be staying. If they don't open the box, it's legal. I leave the gun there, packaged up again and addressed to my home, and when I get back I send a UPS call tag and they bring my gun back. The shipping costs a little, but so does a third bag on the airlines. And UPS loses my stuff a lot less often than does NWA, UAL, AA, etc..

I may be wrong on this because I haven't looked recently, but I think you can ship a gun intrastate to someone w/o an FFL on either end.

Steve, I believe you are absolutely correct on this.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to chopper for this one:

From the NRA site
"Shipping Firearms

Firearms may not be mailed or shipped interstate from one non-FFL to another non-FFL. Personally owned rifles and shotguns may be mailed or shipped to an FFL in any state for any lawful purpose, including sale, repair, or customizing. An FFL may ship a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received. Under U.S. Postal regulations, handguns may be sent via the Postal Service only from one FFL to another FFL, or between authorized government officials.

A person may ship a rifle or shotgun to himself, in care of a person who lives in another state, for purposes of hunting.

Firearms or ammunition delivered to a common carrier for shipment must be accompanied by a written notice to the carrier of the contents of the shipment."

From the ATF site:
"B May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.