16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ms. Elsie - finally together again
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Wright's called Monday and left message that barrels from Ms. Elsie had been finished Very Happy . Got back to them and by Wednesday barrels had shown up on the front porch (approx. 70 mile trip) Very Happy .

Took a look - long forcing cones and new chokes (IC and light MOD) - seemed OK (don't have gauge set yet revdocdrew.

Acid test this morning - out to range and shot three rounds of skeet. Lots of visiting so no perfect rounds, but Ms. Elsie and I got on well.

Glad to have her back together again and ready to use. Cool

Revdocdrew - chokes seem farely tight for IC/lightMod - should work for pointed pheasants.

Dr. 16 Gauge
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

Glad she's back home Dr 16g!
Had the Princess of Whales out to Ben Avery this am. She's choked .010 and .020 but with 7/8 oz 8s seemed to pattern like full and XF on the clays. Plus, I had the same LOP set up as my other SxSs, 14 3/4, but I just couldn't seem to get as comfortable with the swing as with the previous 14 1/4 so I've put the old (thinner) pad back on. You know how it is when you start missing, then start thinking, then lose confidence Embarassed
I planned to shoot only the Sterly leading up to KS in 5 wks and may have to make an emergency order for some Polywad Spred-Rs to have a fair chance on the skeet field. Confused This better turn around Weds am or a very nice Sterly may be on the market Mad

Mtwoodson
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

I might be able to negotiate reduced shipping to Anthem
But I really do hope that it works for you.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:27 am  Reply with quote

Revdocdrew:

Patience, patience, patience

(or bring me the sterly when we meet in December.. Wink )

What's the beef - practice, practice, practice Wink

I've gone to 3/4 oz loads (or will today for first time). I am hoping that this will be good tool for skeet clays out of 16 ga - less pounding.

Dr. 16 Gauge
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:43 am  Reply with quote

Redemptive suffering me thinks-part of the problem is that I couldn't seem to miss with my 20g Trojan first time out-but it is Cyl/IC. Frustrating Confused

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:40 am  Reply with quote

Been contemplating my pitiful performance with the Princess of Whales with the longer LOP and my pea brain finally clicked and suggested maybe I ought to measure the stocks of the 12 and 20 Trojans to compare the Sterly. SURPRISE-though the Sterly was made in 39'. with my usual 14 3/4 LOP the drop is a full 3" Shocked and it has almost no pitch. The 20 Trojan was originally a ladies gun (interesting history there) and has only 2 1/2" drop and I now have an adjustible comb on the 12g Tojan so have similar dimensions at the comb.
I felt like I just couldn't see the targets with my usual mount and head position and what I was doing was lifting my head in order to see over the back of the receiver Confused
We'll see how it goes tomorrow am at Ben Avery with the shorter LOP (and therefore less drop) I may go back to the longer LOP and just add one of those ugly stick on comb elevator pad thingys( Gooey pads are available in bright pink! Embarassed )

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Boy am I bummed out Sad
Just got back from Ben Avery and another disaster-had a guy watch my pattern and with the usual straight down the rib sight picture (with which I shoot 22-23 low gun skeet with both Trojans) I was shooting more than a foot over the target-and this was with the shorter stock and my head down where it should be. I could, with time, correct for this but it would distroy my shooting with the other guns. Profoundly disappointed.
Talked to the gunsmith and he can have my 12g Sterly ready by Nov 1 and I'm going to open the R brl to .015 SO I at least have a pheasant gun.
May take the 16g Sterly over to WilliamLarkinMoore and possibly trade for an LC 16 OO grade but I'd really like to stick with a Fox. If not-the custom Princess of Whales may be for sale here Crying or Very sad
Bummer but I've lived enough to deal with reality and not just try to make it work out.

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Rev,

Let me know if you need to borrow a Parker for your Kansas Pheasant Hunt. Wink