16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New guy here
Riley1dog
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

You guys sound civil and spirited, and I like that so I also am in the market for a new gun a 16 Ga, with all the 525 brownings that are out that looks like what I am going to go with. They are within my budget etc.. But I have found a few guys with the new 525s on some of the auction sites if there is any buyer beware information that I have not read or found could you be kind and zip me a PM. Also if you have a great exp that is as important as bad ones if you dont mind thanks for any help.

Barrell length, I have 32 inch clays guns down to 26 inch what barrell length do you like and why, I will be using the 16 for phesant and quail mostly, 26 or 28.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

I'd go with the 28" barrel. I find the 26" too short for anything but point shooting at Michigan grouse in heavy cover. Go to a large gun dealer and try both before you buy if you can.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

I prefer 28" in doubles and 26" in repeaters. But my hunting has been in West Texas mesquite flats and the high prairies. The tight quarters of the grouse and woodcock hides might prove more amenable to shorter barrels.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

Might check this thread: http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/viewtopic.php?t=30769

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

Hard to go wrong with a 525 Wink
Draht guy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:29 am  Reply with quote

From a new guy to a new guy, welcome. The 525s are sure lookers. I can't believe you'd regret getting one. I'd stay with the 28" pipes too. I have a 32" sporter I absolutely love.

hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:52 am  Reply with quote

I vote 30"
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:04 am  Reply with quote

Civil and spirited...well...thats one way to put it. Smetimes we get downright rude and rabid Laughing .

Anyway, my best advice is to first decide just why you want a 16 gauge O/U for in the first place. Then pick a model that fills the bill for the main purpose. For instance, I use my Citori Lightnings mainly for hunting. I have both 28" and 26" guns for the different cover and birds I might hunt. I also shoot a lot of recreational low gun skeet with them. I picked a 28". 6.75 lb. Grade I Lightning model first. It balances and points well. It carries great. It's light enough to be easy to tote all day. Its also heavy enough to swing as smooth as a well oiled door hinge.

I then modified my ammo to fit the activity. I reload 3/4 ounce skeet load, 7/8 ounce trap loads, and 1 to 1-1/4 ounce hunting loads. The light loads are great to shoot targets with and don't recoil much in a light gun. The heavier hunting loads are deadly on bigger birds. I also modify the target ammo with a bit more powder for smaller birds.

I figured why get a heavier than needed gun for hunting so its more comfortable to shoot targets with. Its easier to modify the ammo instead.

Get the gun you want, but think it through first. Don't let first impressions or too many other's opinions stampede you into a gun that won't do for you. There are too many good choices out there now. Pick the one right for you. Good luck.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

The lighter the gun the more consideration you should give to going with a little longer barrel. Two inches sure helps smooth out a gun that would be uncontrolable with short barrels.

I'm a big guy and normally a 16 ga gun is as small as I can go without a gun feeling to whippy. But a year or two ago a friend let me shoot his light 20 ga Parker with 32" barrels. From a distance it looked like a frozen snake but in your hands it was magic. It must have left an impression cause I still think about it.

Jeff