16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New to the 16, but not shotshell reloading
Equismith
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:24 am  Reply with quote

Forgive me if this is a repeat inquiry, but I reload 12, 20, 28, and the .410 and would like to know what you 16ga reloaders would recommend for reloading the 16ga shotshell.

I plan on shooting mainly targets but with occasional Dove, maybe pen raised pheasant, and hopefully some mountain grouse.
I currently have once fired SuperX and Rem Gameloads on hand.

What wads, powder (I currently have Promo, Unique, Longshot, and Bullseye onhand), and hulls are the most acceptable? I will shoot 7/8 and 1oz loads of smaller shot ( #6 and higher ).

I will likely buy a MEC 600Jr for my reloading. I already have four and they suit me well.

I figured I'd ask you guys who have already learned from trial and error, likes and dislikes, and just plain old experience Smile

Thanks.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:18 am  Reply with quote

I'd look into laying in a supply of the R16 1 ounce Remington wads now available through Recob's Target Shop by special order. These wads will function in any case, but work especially well in Remington hulls. The wads are versitile and when coupled with 28 ga .135" thick card wads, they can be used for 3/4 and 7/8 ounce light recoiling target loads. They can also be used for 1 ounce and even some 1-1/8 ounce loads in roomy hulls.

They also can be directly substituted for any data calling for the discontinued Winchester AA16 wad without concern for pressure. They generate slightly less in identical loads calling for the AA16 and are the best substitute available at this time.

The Remington SP-16 wad can also be used for loads from 1 to 1-1/4 ounce in any 16 ga 2-3/4 inch hull. The filler wad trick works well for them too.

There are European wads available through some importers. The B&P Z wads are good ones. I'm not fond of the Gualandi wads. They have very short shot cups and don't seem to pattern as well through domestic shotguns, American chokes don't seem to be exactly right for them. They are also bigger in diameter than a Remington hull will easily accept. However, some folks like them for use in the roomier hulls.

I used to load on a 16 ga 600 Jr too, but finally got a grabber. Once you load on a progressive, the 600 seems archaic and very slow. I now reserve the Jr for low volume specialty loads.
Haiwee
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

I would consider joining the low-pressure group. With a plethora of loads using dozens of different components, it's money well-spent.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

Remington hull,SP-16 wad and 7/8-1 1-8 oz with Unique.Forget the high priced R-16 wads.I use a spacer or three to take up any room and have no problems Wink