16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  sweet 16 questions
mvick
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:59 am  Reply with quote

I bought a Belgian Sweet 16 at a gun show earlier in the year. (Actually I traded a 52C Winchester 22 even up for it.) 1951 mfg, vent rib, round knob. I've been looking for one like this for awhile.
Any thoughts on what loads will function best? Recoil? I've owned an A-5 mag in the past, this guy doesn't seem to have all the friction ring adjustments for differant loads. 2 1/2 dr? 3 1/4 dr?
I believe it is full choked, although the barrel isn't marked. I am considering sending it to Briley for choke tubes, but wonder if collectibility/value would be much affected. If it is indeed full, I need to be pretty selective in non-toxic loads (required on public land in SoDak.) I think Bismuth is the only appropriate factory load available. I've got only $1000 into it, so not a deal breaker, but one likes to know.
I am looking forward to knocking down some South Dakota pheasants with it in a couple of weeks!
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:08 pm  Reply with quote

I also have a '51 SS. What is the serial number

The best all around loads are 1 oz though it will handle the 1 1/8 oz 16 shells. Dram eq. depends on what your shooting with it.

There are only 2 ways to install the rings on an SS. It's different from the Mag. Let us know if you need help with them.

The choke is market with asterisks and dashs, post what is on there and we'll tell you what it is choked.

If you have the original barrel, which would be numbered to the receiver in '51 Briley chokes will take at least $400 off the valuem to any reasonabley astute buyer. If you simply must hasve screw in chokes buy an invector barrel on ebay etc.

It will handle Bismuth or tungsten polymer matrix just fine.

Jeff
mvick
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:49 am  Reply with quote

The serial # is X58914. On rechecking, that is actually early 1952. The numbers match on the barrel, reciever, and fore end.
If the value would decrease that much, adding the price of the conversion in, I guess that is a deal breaker. Does any A-5 16ga barrel work?

There are, of course, more proof marks and arcane hieroglyphs than a Templar tomb on the barrel. On the barrel guide ring, under the sn there is a single asterisk. Does this indicate he choke?

The friction ring arrangement is well covered in the online manual on Browning's web site. It appears to be the same as a light 12 or 20.

When I told my wife I was gathering info from the 16ga Society online, I could hear her eyes rolling over the phone. The internet is a wonderful place.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:19 am  Reply with quote

My 1950 SS is marked with one asterick (full choke) on the barrel just in front of the "Special Steel-16 ga. shells 2 3/4".

Damn! Living in South Dakota, it's October and you've got a new Sweet 16! I hope you appreciate the position you're in!

Matt
mvick
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:07 am  Reply with quote

matt-
I also have a single asterisk in the same location. One issue cleared up!

Your observation on my position here is spot on. It gets better. My wife and I live on an old farmstead about 10 miles south of Aberdeen. We are surrounded by waterfowl production/public hunting land. So, after work, I can simply grab a gun, take the dogs, and hunt until dark. I've been shooting mostly a Berreta 470 in 20 and a 687 in 28, a new toy this season!

Unfortunately. non-toxic shot is required on public hunting land in South Dakota, but lead is OK on private land. Looks like bismuth is my only choice in 16ga if I don't want to shoot steel. An eariler reply mentioned tunsten matrix- who makes it and is it available in 16?
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:33 am  Reply with quote

Well, if you're looking to adopt I'm available! Laughing

Kent, I believe, makes their Tungsten Matrix in 16ga. I think you can order it on line from Cabela's. I'm sure someone else will chip in here to verify that but opinions on this board have been that the T/M is better than the Bismuth.

Enjoy that SS this fall. It's a great gun!

Matt
justchris
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

Bad news boys, Kent has discontinued production of their Tungston Matrix loads for the 2006-2007 season.
They state the reason is the high cost of raw materials.
I've looked at every possible place I know of on the web that carried them for the 16 ga. and they're all sold out! (Macks Prairie Wings, Ballistic Products, Firearms Service and Auto Life Outdoors.)
Cabela's doesn't carry any for the 16 ga.
Looks like it's Bismuth if you use factory loads.
Chris
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Great gun, dont look at chokes as a deal breaker. If you dont buy it you'll kick yourself later.

But where did you get your date of production? You were right the first time.
Your gun was shipped in '51, but very late in the year. The last 16 ga A5 shipped in '51 was serial number X59400.

All the X prefix guns are 2 3/4" chambered, and all 2 3/4" chambered 16 ga A5 barrels should fit ok on your receiver. Do not buy a 65 mm barrel thgat has been lengthened to 2 3/4" chamber, IT WILL NOT WORK.

If your looking for a second barrel with a more open choke and really want to shoot steel buy one with a polychoke on it. It will be the least expensive 16 ga barrel on the used market and they supposedly handle steel ok unless you crank them down too tight.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mulliken on Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
mvick
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I bought a Belgian barrel on Ebay with Colonial tubes, and paid a bit too much. Bird season is only 12 days away! I'll need another tube to shoot steel, but will probably go with bismuth since the Kent stuff is unavailable. I had achance on a poly choked barrel, but just don't like the aeshetics. I have my dad's model 12 with a factory poly, great sentimental value, but it just looks WRONG.