16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Anybody else here too sentimental?
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

As some of you know I recently bought a Sterlingworth 20ga (yeah, yeah; I know). It severly depleted (destroyed, really) my semi-secret "gun money" stash, and this weekend was the Chisholm Trail Gun Collectors' Show, the biggest local show. I don't really shoot a 20 that much anyway, so I decided to take my other 20 along and sell it. It's just an old Stevens, nothing special, too heavy, yada yada. The wood's pretty beat up (that's the way I found it) and I'll probably never shoot it again. Might be a way to start building the fund back up.

I made sure it was oiled and greased, shined it up the best I could, wiped it down, stuck the snap caps in and dropped the hammers. I swung it a couple of times, remembering a few quail that the old girl brought home, and quite a few doves that she didn't (my fault, not hers). I made up a sign:

Ranger (J. Stevens) 5100
Pre-1949
Original twin ivory beads and factory recoil pad
28", Mod & Full, double triggers
Tight lock-up, mirror bores
Deadly dove and quail gun

I liked the marketing ploy there at the end, even though I lied about the dove part. I stuck her in a cheap gun sleeve, and put her in the back seat of the truck. Though I'm not really gun shopping something always comes along, and the money will come in handy.

When I got to the show I realized that I wouldn't really be able to look carrying a gun around; might miss something good. I decided to walk the show, then come back out and get the gun and walk it again carrying the gun. Looked around, then went back to find a couple of small things I'd seen. Took me a while to find them. Realized it was really hot in there and they didn't have the AC on. Remembered a book I wanted, went back to the booth, looked through everything, they didn't have it. Thought "I'll have to walk all the way out to the truck, get the gun, walk all the way back, and walk the show again. It is really is hot in here. Looked at my watch; gee, where did the time go? There's that game I really want to see; if I stay much longer I'll miss the kickoff...

When I walked in the house my wife asked, "Did you sell your gun?" "Nah," I said. "I was gonna try, but it didn't look like much of a buying crowd."

Fin

Last edited by fin2feather on Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
H.H. Hipshot
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Howdy F2F,

I have a similar problem, only worse. Once I get a toy, it never leaves. Well, I did give some to my sons, just to clear out some space in the safe.

I have had a couple of guys want to buy their toys back, after they sold them to me, and so far, I have refused. I'm mean that way, and know it. My friends have finally learned that if they sell me an item, it is for good.

By the way, I don't think you can ever wear out one of those Stevens, unless you get out the dremel tool and file and "slick it up", say for CAS.

Take it out this fall, shoot it, and you will probably be glad you kept it.

HHH

sprocket
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

for all that, you owe it at least another day in the field...maybe a whole weekend
Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

sprocket wrote:
for all that, you owe it at least another day in the field...maybe a whole weekend

ditto

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

Honey-I wanted to sell it but a couple of dealers told me the wood,receiver,barrels,finish-use your imagination--were not original and it's reallly not worth a whole lot.The good news is that[what you were wanting to buy]was just laying at a table and no one was looking at it---I think I kinda took advantage of the guy but he REALLY wanted to get rid of it because he was tired of taking it shows and it just wouldn't move at the shop:wink: Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink