16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Citorri and slugs
Yellowsub
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:39 am  Reply with quote

I'll be deer hunting in about a month. Unfortunately, this is also about the only time I have to do some grouse hunting as well. I'll probably shoot a deer or two with one of my rifles like I do every year. I'd like to then take a walk with the citorri and shoot a few grouse. I was thinking of loading up one of the barrels with a slug in case I would get the oppurtunity to fill another tag. A couple of the guys I hunt with tell me I'm crazy for shooting slugs out of this gun. Am I missing something here? It's a modern gun made just a few years ago. I understand they aren't typically used as slug guns but I can't imagine there would be any harm done if it was choked properly. Is there some reason I should not shoot slugs out of this gun?

Thanks.
87016ga
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

yellowsub:
browning recommends against shooting slugs thru thier "invector plus" barrels. these barrels are backbored greater than standard 12ga dimensions, and the slug has great potential for wobbling as it rides down the bore. (i assume we are talking 12ga, you didn't say).
anyway, why would you want to absorb the recoil by firing a slug load in a fixed breech gun? a cheap pump or auto-loader can accomplish the same thing.

p.s. where are you in mn?
Yellowsub
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:21 am  Reply with quote

I live in Cannon Falls but do my deer hunting about 40 miles north of Thief River Falls. How about you?

It is a 16 gauge, not a 12. Maybe I should just check with browning. Like I said, I'm not tryin to make this a slug gun, just want to have one loaded in case the oppurtunity presents itself. My plan is to hunt grouse and try to move deer to the people in the stands. I've had some luck doing it in the past. Last year I carried a 44 with me and was thinking the slug would be a much better deal.
87016ga
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

yellowsub;
i'm in belle plaine.
i personally can't see shooting slugs in a o/u due to barrel regulation.
i.e. bottom barrel low at 25 yards, where as the top barrel is right on or even high at the same 25 yards???????
have you even tried to "zero-in" slugs in both barrels at the same target?
personally i would use the citori as a wingshooting tool, as designed, and carry the .44

let us know how you fared.......kind of curious.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:20 am  Reply with quote

Yellow sub. The old blued 16 ga invector full choke tubes are very tight with at least 42 points of constriction. I have pondered whether it might not be a smart idea to have some talented machinist cut four fairly wide .005' to .006" deep rifle grooves at a slow rate of twist to accomodate foster type 16 ga slugs in one. The tube would essentially convert your smoothbore into a paradox bore. You could experiment to see which barrel shoots the closest to your rib's point of aim and use it.

Mass hunters are restricted to buck or slug. I hunt with a 12 ga 26" Citori invector gun. I use the top barrel for standard slugs out of a short rifled choke tube. I use Remington standard velocity and weight rifled slugs. They group into 2"-3" out to 70 yards from a squeeky clean tube. However the tube will lead up after the third slug and starts throwing them wild. I usually only need one. I mounted some aftermarket fiber optic rifle sights on the rib and sighted the gun in at 50 yards.

I use a Pattern Master 12 ga invector tube in the bottom barrel with Federal Premium 3" OOO buffered and cup wadded loads. The PM tube throws The Federal load's pellets into a 12-14" pattern at 40 yards. Its deadly with any chest hit.

My idea should work for you if you can find someone to rifle the full choke tube for you. I'd think a 1 in 40 twist would stabilize any 16 ga foster slug without deforming it. You don't need much spin to stabilize these short fat hollow slugs. Just keep it free of lead build up with any good strong copper and lead removing bore cleaner and a stainless steel bore brush.

The rifle sights don't seem to interfere with wingshooting. I've used the gun with open tubes to take several late season birds as is . I always focus with both eyes on my mark. Two eyes lets me look through the barrels and the sights when wing shooting. I don't know how the sights will affect a one eyed shooter. However, I bet they could be gotten used to.

The Remington slugs work the best for me. I'd think the 16 version would too in the right set up. Perhaps one of the folks here might know a gifted smith or machinist who could do this work for you.
Yellowsub
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies fellas.

16guy, I appreciate the info and detailed response. Honestly, I wouldn't consider putting that much effort into this for this use. If I even get a shot the maximum range would be 30yds. I think I'll just buy a few boxes and see where they hit. I did talk to browning and they said the gun will handle it fine. Just don't use anything more restrictive than IC choke.

870, Belle Plaine huh. I get over that way sometimes to stomp around on the WMA's in the late season. How about you? Do you hunt there as well or is it too close to home to be any good.
Fluesy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

Yellow Sub- I am really trying to understand why a guy would want to take an O/U and use it for slugs. Maybe a cheap 12 Gauge but not a 16!!!! Citori's are a tremendously capable gun, but why take a chance even though it may be remote on screwing it up. I guess the adventure I have gone through to aquire mine makes me reluctant to use it for anything but birds. Quail, Grouse, Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Pheasants, Chukars, sounds like a viable selection of targets, I might try it in my 870. But my O/U, any of my O/U's No Way. But I am a Biased Old Fashioned F_rt. You ain't no Corporation Man, you ain't gotta do more with less. Live Large, pack that pistol, make them Grouse tremble with that 16, not no friggin deer.
My Confused $.02 Worth
Fluesy-Chet
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:45 am  Reply with quote

Just a point of info on the Citori, not meant to start a "friggin war" Laughing as our smooth talkin' buddy Fluesy might say. Its just meant to ease anyone's mind about how rugged and tough these guns really are. Browning has built center fire O/U 30-06 double rifles on this same small frame action without one problem. I figure an occasional 16 gauge slug won't hurt anything.
Keep a citori clean and dry, and it will priobably outlast your great, great grand kids.

Shooting a slug might knock a lump in one's shoulder, but I'm betting the gun won't feel a thing. Anyway, who can say how much pain 50 pounds of prime venison is worth. I've probably left at least a pound of my own rump steak hanging in various raspberry thickets and bull briars throughout Southeast MA to get a chance to fill the freezer. I loves those butterfly chops dredged in seasoned flour and fried up with onions, even if I gotta eat standing up. YUM!!! Very Happy
Yellowsub
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

Fluesy,

That's part of the reason I'm asking. The search for this gun was unbeleivable. I took a ride on an emotional roller coaster just trying to get this gun.

My mind tells me it's OK, but I don't know if my heart is ready to pull the trigger with a slug in the barrel.

Thanks again for the replies fellas.