16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 YOUTH GUNS STOLEN- PLEASE HELP!
locksley
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:49 pm  Reply with quote

It seems there are a lot of feeling hurt on a group of young hunters. I saw this on another site I visit and thought you-all might help them .
Locksley
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chad Whittenburg, TWF

Please read the below message!!! Lets pull together and help. I am additionally setting up an account, if you wish to send the money in to The Tennessee Wildlife Federation, I will earmark it and present a total check on behalf of Tennessee SCTP & the Federation or whom ever wishes to be named.

Please if you do send in money to TWF, make payable to TWF/SCTP Lost Guns Fund

Thank-you from the Tennessee Wildlife Federation

Letter From Tennessee Trap Director:

Dear,SCTP Friends and Family,
It comes with a heavy spirit that I have to forward this to the Scholastic Clay Target Teams and friends around the Country. On October 4th two Tennessee teams from Dyersburg and McKenzie were preparing to leave for Colorado Springs for the first ever SCTP International Trap Shooting Championships. The two teams and 5 coaches had combined their equipment and guns, and sent them ahead the day before via personal ground transport. On the morning of October 4th the Coaches had pulled into their hotel in Oklahoma City for a short stop. The Ford Excursion was loaded front to back including camera equipment that was on loan from the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency to document the event. The FBI estimated that the Ford Excursion full of guns and gear was stolen within the first 35 minutes at the hotel.

Needless to say the teams were devastated. But in the spirit of competition the parents and teammates were determined not to let the criminals win. So the teams traveled to Colorado Springs to compete. The response was overwhelming! Beretta sent three loner shotguns and the Petersons from Michigan brought three of their own personal guns to help the kids. Once at the Olympic Training Center, the news spread and shotguns were being offered by all who attended. The young athletes still in shock struggled to compete. Many of the kids changed guns three and four times, without finding a fit. Scores were low, and several times kids left the field in tears, but continued to fight each and every round.

Needless to say, I have personally broken down almost daily as my daughter and I were also victims of this crime. The parents have learned a hard lesson. For the most part, over half of athletes were new to the program this year and the parents were unaware of the need for additional insurance. As it stands the homeowners policies and car insurance will not cover the loss. In all, the two teams and coaches lost a current total of $120,000.00 in guns and gear (not including the TWRA camera equipment). That total is still rising as personal items are being added as discovered missing. Luckily the excursion was recovered, but almost all the gear was gone.

We have set up an account called the “Trap Team Lost Gun Fund” we are asking for help and donations from all. We do not expect much but are asking for $5 to $10 dollars or as much as you like to help the kids and coaches get back on their feet. Below you will find the information to either mail checks made out to the fund above or the bank account wiring instructions.

Thanks to all those who helped the teams to compete, and thank you to those who can see it in their hearts to help them out in their time of need. Let’s show these kids how much they mean to our heritage and the sport!

Yours truly,
John W. Wells Jr.
Tennessee SCTP State Trap Advisor
731-285-4425

Mail and Make Payable Checks to:

Trap Team Lost Gun Fund
P.O. Box 721
Dyersburg, TN 38025

Direct Wire Funds to:
Carroll Bank & Trust
Trap Team Lost Gun Fund
Routing #084304272
Account #3180913
Contact info – Mark Warren, V.P. 731-352-2282

Or again mail to TWF, Payable to TWF/SCTP Lost Gun Fund

--------------------
Chad Whittenburg
Tennessee Wildlife Federation
Director of Programs
Office:615-353-1133 ext.#3
Email: cwhittenburg@tnwf.org
Join TWF at www.tnwf.org
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed What do you say Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad