16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Polywad doublewides- and vintagers for older guns
padre rich
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

I use these in my Parker and Lefever. Lower pressures and still kills birds. The doublewides really help to down more birds in guns choked full and fuller. Thought some of you guys might like to try 'em . Draw back is that you have to buy a case.

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a case of the Vintagers awhile back and they were great. Been reloading the 2.5" hulls with a load from the low pressure group, and they perform real well.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

I know I'll catch some flak for this comment, but here goes. Wink
I've shoot both the Polywad Vintage and the Doublewide. Now, if I wanted to shoot a 7/8oz. load, I'd shoot a 20 gauge. So, I roll my own spreader loads, using there insert. In a 2-1/2" hull, 1oz. of shot, and roll crimped. I'm still low pressure for my Damascus guns. I suppose if I was a crack shot, like Mr. Mulliken and others. I could get away with 7/8oz. loads. But I need all the help I can get. Laughing They are good loads.
padre rich
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

the double wides have doubled the amount of birds I take per trip. Of course i'm talkin about quail and dove but I have taken dozens of farm raised chukars and pheasants with these (vintagers for chiks anf pheas) 7/8 loads. Just put it on 'em . they'll drop. It's a pretty ballistically effecient load.

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

Someone cautioned me about using the spreader shells over dogs....do they really pattern that wide???
padre rich
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

Although I'd love to tell you that my dogs are always steady to wing and shot - they aren't. But I have no reservation about blasting double wides over them - The best those loads can do is a skeet type spread . Don't worry your dog is safe .

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Padre,
I just punched the order button.......
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:33 am  Reply with quote

Dave M. wrote:
I know I'll catch some flak for this comment, but here goes. Wink
I've shoot both the Polywad Vintage and the Doublewide. Now, if I wanted to shoot a 7/8oz. load, I'd shoot a 20 gauge. So, I roll my own spreader loads, using there insert. In a 2-1/2" hull, 1oz. of shot, and roll crimped. I'm still low pressure for my Damascus guns. I suppose if I was a crack shot, like Mr. Mulliken and others. I could get away with 7/8oz. loads. But I need all the help I can get. Laughing They are good loads.

A 20? you heathen you!! Wink Laughing I too have used a 16 ga 1 ounce polywad insert spreader handload but for early season birds. Last Saturday was the opener for stocked birds in MA. I was hunting over a good friend's excellent pair of GSHs. I wanted to use my new/old Ithaca 37 with the 24" barrel and an IC choke tube. However, I've pureed a few birds even with a spreader load in close. I can't hold off the trigger once the brain says shoot or I'll blow the shot every time. So sometimes, I'm taking these birds inside 15 yards over a good close point in heavier cover or through the trees as is often the case down on Cape Cod. My solution is to use a 7/8 ounce spreader load of #6 shot at about 1150 FPS for the first round, followed by a standard 1 ounce load of #6 shot.

I did not get a typical close flush in the morning. all the wingshooting was done by the two other guys. i held back a bit. However, that afternoon, I hunted dogless at a friend's farm over an old pumpkin patch. About 4:30 PM when the shadows start to lengthen and the air is turning chillier, out came some pheasant to pick at gravel and sand for their craws in the old field. I was on post at the high end behind some brush. I worked down to within 40 yards of the closest cock bird and set up an ambush. he walked to within 10 yards of my position and I sprung the trap. He gave me the usual one sided once over glance and tried to fly out of the county, cacking all the way. Too late. The 7/8 ounce of # 6 caught him at about 25 yards and dumped him deader than stone about midway across the field. It was avery clean kill with only a few pellets in the breast meat. Everything else was in the head/neck region. I was pleased with the results.

In my opinion, its best to use the load that compliments the conditions and our shooting abilities. In this case, I'd have liked another 1/8 ounce of pellets, but the 7/8 ounce load did the job just fine. I'd forgotten I had that one in the mag. It went into the chamber first. I'm glad I did not know it at the time. It might have made me pause, and I'd have missed. As it was,I was dead on target. It worked just fine. After seeing the results, I'm now confident these little poppers will work down on the Cape just fine for at least a couple of weeks until the birds start wising up and get spookier.