16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  H&R 16ga, is on it's way ! :)
pezman1963
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

16 Candles wrote:
I've got a NEF 20ga that had its barrel cut off. Is it possible to order a 16ga barrel that will fit right on the original frame? Is it cheaper to just buy a new NEF 16? They're pretty cheap.

Sure is
it costs $40
http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:03 am  Reply with quote

Buckweet, If you are happy with your H&R single, then what does it matter what anyone else thinks. If you can hit the mark flying 90% or better, and you can take your share of the birds with it, then the gun is sufficient for the cause. Why worry about the other guy's opinion.

I found my favorite 16 gauge gun nearly a decade ago. Mine happens to be a Citori 16ga Grade I Lightning. I love the gun. It shoots exactly where I look. I've shot it, and a couple of other small framed Citori Lightnings enough to be very good with any of them. That took lots of practice, which took lots of ammo.

I could have spent a small fortune on a very expensive gun. Some folks can and do. However, I'd would have had to give up the ammo and the target fees at my club's skeet range to do so. I would not have been able to develop my shooting skills enough to be proficient with the gun.

I stayed within my means and accomplished the mission. Since then, I've had some folks turn their noses up at my plain Grade I 16 ga Citori for a number of reasons. So what. What counts is what I or anyone can do with their shotgun. Its the shooter in my opinion, and not the gun. Its the indian, not the arrow.

Learn to shoot that gun. Become a deadly shot and the rest is all baloney. That is the heart of the matter when it comes to shotguns and shooting. Good luck with your choice of guns. Now go shoot it well. 16GG.

PS: If the barrel shoots where it looks, then its a simple matter of modifying the stock so when you mount the gun, you are comfortable and both you and the gun are pointing exactly where your eyes are looking. This is both easier and less expensive on an inexpensive gun.

That is why my Citori and I are an effective team. the barrels on my gun both shoot dead on. The stock fits me like it was custom made. I'm just dumb lucky to be built right for the gun. Some other guns don't fit me as well, and i can't shoot them as well. Some folks need to have a stock cut for them regardless of make or model. Do what you must.

Any experienced and accomplished shotgunner you are friends with can help you do this. Once you know what stock measurements suit you best, then you will have the key to good wingshooting. Once your gun fits you, its no mystery how to put the shot string on target, because your natural hand-eye coordination will work at its best for you.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:06 am; edited 2 times in total
pezman1963
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:47 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Buckweet, If you are happy with your H&R single, then what does it matter what anyone else thinks. If you can hit the mark flying 90% or better, and you can take your share of the birds with it, then the gun is sufficient for the cause. Why worry about the other guy's opinion.

I found my favorite 16 gauge gun nearly a decade ago. Mine happens to be a Citori 16ga Grade I Lightning. I love the gun. It shoots exactly where I look. I've shot it, and a couple of other small framed Citori Lightnings enough to be very good with any of them. That took lots of practice, which took lots of ammo.

I could have spent a small fortune on a very expensive gun. Some folks can and do. However, I'd would have had to give up the ammo and the target fees at my club's skeet range to do so. I would not have been able to develop my shooting skills enough to be proficient with the gun.

I stayed within my means and accomplished the mission. Since then, I've had some folks turn their noses up at my plain Grade I 16 ga Citori for a number of reasons. So what. What counts is what I or anyone can do with their shotgun. Its the shooter in my opinion, and not the gun. Its the arrow, not the indian.

Learn to shoot that gun. Become a deadly shot and the rest is all baloney. That is the heart of the matter when it comes to shotguns and shooting. Good luck with your choice of guns. Now go shoot it well. 16GG.

Thats some of the best advice I heard in long time.
You don't need to spend lots of money.
Ultimately if it fits you and you like is all that really matters.
a gun either throws a good pattern or it doesn't.
No amount of engraving or deep blueing does that.
Personally I never spent more than $300 on a shotgun.

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:03 am  Reply with quote

My very first shotgun was a Stevens single 20 gauge with full choke. I believe I got it in 1967. It used to beat the hell out of me and the fore-end popped off with almost every shot. I traded it to a friend for something or other in the early 70's. When I tried to get it back in the early 80's, found out it had been stolen from my friend's garage, never to be seen again. I sure didn't miss shooting it, but figured it would be nice to have stuck in the back of the safe.
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:31 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:

I stayed within my means and accomplished the mission. Since then, I've had some folks turn their noses up at my plain Grade I 16 ga Citori for a number of reasons. So what. What counts is what I or anyone can do with their shotgun. Its the shooter in my opinion, and not the gun. Its the indian, not the arrow.

PS: If the barrel shoots where it looks, then its a simple matter of modifying the stock so when you mount the gun, you are comfortable and both you and the gun are pointing exactly where your eyes are looking. This is both easier and less expensive on an inexpensive gun.

That is why my Citori and I are an effective team. the barrels on my gun both shoot dead on. The stock fits me like it was custom made. I'm just dumb lucky to be built right for the gun. Some other guns don't fit me as well, and i can't shoot them as well. Some folks need to have a stock cut for them regardless of make or model. Do what you must.

Any experienced and accomplished shotgunner you are friends with can help you do this. Once you know what stock measurements suit you best, then you will have the key to good wingshooting. Once your gun fits you, its no mystery how to put the shot string on target, because your natural hand-eye coordination will work at its best for you.

You make some great points 16GG, especially the "learn how the gun shoots" stuff but you've brought up an interesting point - I mean exactly what kind of "baloney" are we talking about here?

For me it's Oscar Mayer BOLOGNA all the way (and yes I "sang" the spelling). I mean Boars Head makes some great balogna - different strokes for different folks and all - but don't even think about slipping that turkey or chicken "baloney" (a phoney spelling for a phoney baloney) - you even start to say "soy", "veggie" or "organic" and there a 1oz load of crystalized NACL coming at you angry farmer style - and I'll show if those days on the range paid off or not.

I don't usually talk this kind of balogna but I couldn't help as you brought the subject up - I'm also not used to taking balogna unless it's on white bread with cheese or butter and the crust cut off like Mom used to make when I was five - or I just went 25/25 on the trap range - cause that would make me hungry...
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I'll leave the baloney to you Sprocket. Personally, i'm a ham and swiss on rye kinda guy. Laughing
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

one of my other boards is a 4x4 site - lots of BS in the off topic but some good tech - anyway - someone started PB&J tech thread, funnay stuff.
Hobie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

I think you will like your new gun. Although it isn't a 16 I've had mine since 1973 and it has been nearly all around the world. Nary a problem.

There is an article somewhere about how the single is the "poor" mans double giving the handling and aesthetic characteristics of the double albeit at less cost.

Sincerely,

Hobie