16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 citori
old16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

Just seen a 16ga.grade III 26'' Lightning at Jays Sporting Goods at Claire Michigan. Very good shape. A little pricey though. 2395.00
No one would say anything about the Grouse up their. It was like they all had memory block.
From what the DNR told us about the Grouse was up all over. The people from Claire to Baldwin was like they couldn't even read. What they did tell us was complete opposite from the DNR.

walt lister
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:22 pm  Reply with quote

My 16ga Grade III Superlite with a few gambels taken on opening day friday.
Paid almost $2K used but as new in the box in 1999 so $2395 doesn't sound outrageous but it's always worth dickering.

old16
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:44 am  Reply with quote

Walt
You are probably right. I have not been keeping up on the prices. I bought mine back in the middle 90's for 1300.00 so I am behind the times alittle.

In 99 I had Briley make a full length set of 28 titanium tubes for them. It just seems a 28ga just compliments a 16 on a bird hunt.

I don't remember for sure but I think the tubes cost me 300.00 for the pair then.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:02 am  Reply with quote

Old16, you nearly have my dream combo, a 16/28 ga
Citori Lightning or Superlight in any grade. However, I'd be more than happy with Gr I because I'd be hunting and shooting the hell out of it.

I tend to hoard the Gr III and Gr VI guns. I suffer from a common gun owner's affliction known as "Dingitis". Rolling Eyes I get all PO'ed at myself anytime I ding a high grade gun while chasing the birds, or falling on my butt every so often from my other affliction, "Tanglefoot." Laughing
walt lister
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:42 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy, If you look close at the buttstock you can see a pretty bad scratch resulting from some hillside gymnastics that didn't recieve a "10" from the judges. That isn't the only mark on it either. It was strapped on the back of an ATV when I rolled it on a hillside. It's had an interesting life! Shocked

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling an ATV huh. Well... I don't need any mechanical assistance. On a good day ( or bad, depending on one's point of view) I can manage to go arse over teakettle walking down the middle of a 4 lane highway in clear and sunny summer weather. Rolling Eyes So when it comes to hunting guns, I play it close to the vest. That is just me. Call it a character flaw. I have more than one. Wink Laughing
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

Scratches and marks add character, that's what the guns were made for..............the only thing that has more scars than my guns is me!
old16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:18 am  Reply with quote

16gg

I have been toying with the Idea of a set of 28 tubes for either my 16 Elsie or my 16 Parker. I don't think I will ever run across a LC 28 that I could afford. I am told they only made one. I have not found the little old lady that has it but when I do I will probably have to get engaged to shoot it, providing it ok with my wife.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

The only problem with tubes is they add a lot of forward weight. IMO that is okay for a skeet gun with carrier barrels, but it does little for an upland gun except maybe for informal skeet with sub loads.

The 16 ga and the 28 ga seem to compliment each other perfectly. I think they do even better than a 16/20 or a 20/28 combo. Since Browning builds the 16 on a slightly modified 20 gauge action, I think a set of 28ga barrels built to match the weight of the 16 ga set would be a dream come true, especially if the gun weighed about 6-1/2 lbs with either barrel set and balanced the same. It essentially would be one gun for all upland duties. What else would you really need, besides maybe a custom fitted stock so the barrels shoot exactly where you look. The small frame Citori already does that for me perfectly. I'd be in fat city with such a gun--at least until i thought of another gun I'd love to own. So many guns--so little time. SIGH!!!
old16
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:44 am  Reply with quote

16gg
I agree with you on the citori and the 28 set. But my only Idea with the 28 tube set for the LC or Parker was for skeet or just to play around.

As far as hunting I Have a Mod. 12, 28 I have used on grouse and Quail. But it is hard to divide the time and honor between the 16 and 28 durring the seasons. It seems Like having a bird dog and a rabbit dog and the season is open for both but only have the time to do one, and promise the other will go next time.

I am looking for a sxs 28 but not looking for anything new. I will come across something before next season.

Have a good weekend. old 16

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

you too on the weekend. By the way, I hunted for two years for a decent 28 ga SXS. Any old American 28 ga SxS will top 2.5K for a clunker. Prepare to dig very deep for a decent one.

I recently bought an upgraded Bernadelli Uberto made for William Larken moore back in the 1970's or 1980's. It has a single non-selective trigger. I had to work on the split inertia foot engagement to get it 100% reliable. It is fine now. Cost? over 1k and it needed work. If I did not have a bit of skill, it would easily have gone over 1.4K to get it right.

I recently got a great deal on a CZ .410 Ringneck--"too good to pass up" good. Based on how good the .410 is, I'm now ordering a 28 with 28" barrels as soon as the budget says go. They are great guns for the money--almost too good, better than the Bernadelli IMO. If you want two triggers, look at the Bobwhite. The quality is outstanding for the price. They are every bit as good or better as any Italian or Spanish double at twice the price IMO.They will be the classics of the future. I'm betting the price skyrockets in the next few years. Guns this good don't stay at bargain prices for long. Why wait.
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

old16 wrote:
Just seen a 16ga.grade III 26'' Lightning at Jays Sporting Goods at Claire Michigan. Very good shape. A little pricey though. 2395.00
No one would say anything about the Grouse up their. It was like they all had memory block.
From what the DNR told us about the Grouse was up all over. The people from Claire to Baldwin was like they couldn't even read. What they did tell us was complete opposite from the DNR.

the difference is that the DNR folks probably don't hunt Wink
old16
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

16gg

You are right about the bucks in a few years. I just happened to shoot skeet today and a fellow asked if he could see my LC I had setting in the rack. He began to tell me that about 20 years ago he had over 127 guns. He said he decided to unload most of them and start collecting sxs. He said he had about 20 which I believe him because the guys that run the club at the Academy where I shoot on Sat.
He told me about the Parker 28 he has and went on from their. Well it sure was nice talking to him. I asked him what he did and told me he had a internet business. Crap this guy is older than me and I am lucky if I can turn a computer on.

I hope on the 29 of this month their is this on gun dealer shows up at a gunshow I will be at. I know he had a nice old 28 but I don't recall what the make was. I seen it from a distance so I hope he still has it. You know how it goes, maybe he has something that he don't know he has. Will see.
I keep you posted. Good shooting.