16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Where to Find Info...
Topanga_Jack
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

I have an L.C. Smith Specialty Grade 16 Ga that has been passed down to me from my father. I am looking to find the best way to get more information regarding the gun. What or where is the best place to find out more about the gun I have? Thanks.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Great gun! Very Happy
Here you go: http://www.lcsmith.org/
And a new LC Smith book is probably going to be released in Dec-order infro is on the LC Smith Collectors home page.
Let us know what you find out and post pics if you can!

Topanga_Jack
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

Is there someplace that I can get research more details about the gun using the serial number? I'd like to find out when it was made, what the barrel mods are, etc.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

On the LC Smith Collectors site, move your cursor over 'Shotguns' then to the right where you can then click on 'History', 'Grades', and FIRST 'Year of Manufacture' There, you can enter the serial # and get the date of manufacture which will help you understand the 'History' You can also click 'Search the Records' for infro as to how to request a letter from the Smith factory records.
LC Smith guns did not have the chokes marked on the brls (at least mine haven't) so a smith will need to measure both the bore (Smith bores were usually smaller than the 16g .665 standard) AND the constriction of the chokes. You can then check the "Choke Constriction' announcement thread here as to if the chokes are Mod/Full, etc.
OR just PM me the serial # and I'll give it a shot Very Happy
BTW: Your dad had good taste Cool

laxcoach
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

-Jack, If you're looking for information only (and not a value), those of us who collect Smiths need the following----
1) serial number INCLUDING any prefix, i.e. FW, R, FWS, etc;
2) serial number suffix, i.e. E
3) If you are looking for a value, it gets a lot more complicated---- pictures are a must, and expect only a range of values.
PS---- the serial number chart can be very confusing. It's best to furnish 1) and 2).
Topanga_Jack
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:52 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you both for the info. I am looking more for information than value. It is priceless to me since it has passed from my grandfather, from my dather, to me. I want to learn about the gun and get to know more about it and the history behind it. I also want to go to a gunsmith to see how the fit matches to my body. I have shot a lot with the gun and it seems a very close fit but again I would like to get all the information I can. Is it safe to be giving out serial numers on this post? Is there something that I need to beware of by giving out the serial number? Can any harm come of it? I want to get infomation but I also want to be careful.

I wil try to take some photos to post for you. It's a beautiful gun.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:34 am  Reply with quote

I don't see any problem divulging a serial number here. The only possible problem would be if a gun was of unknown history, turned out to be stolen, and was traced or identified via serial number. Then some explanations would be required. Since the gun has been in your family for multiple generations, that is not a possibility.

In the earlier days, serial numbers were much more easy to trace. I have a letter from a Michigan sheriff from the 1930's, inquiring whether or not my Grandfather still had possession of a .32 caliber handgun. I now have the gun and the letter, which is interesting. No agency that I know of has time these days to keep track of individual firearms.

The experts here can provide you with much info, I would not hesitate to provide them with the details of your gun.
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:47 am  Reply with quote

While many are reluctant to divulge specific serial numbers of their guns for many reasons, real or imagined, myself included, you can easily just send a PM to the individual who can help you. That way, only those who need the specific serial number have it, and you can still get the help you need.