16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  What would be your next 16ga pruchase ?
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Padre,
I spoke with Ivory Beads today and am going over there tomorrow to check out the Parkers. Want to go? We can bust some clays at BBB before or after.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

I suppose an American classic - Parker, Lefever, or Fox in 28" tubes.

For you Merkel fans, here a sweet little number:Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30&mid=345&ctl=GunsDetails&StyleID=10&GunID=145

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

WOW Shocked Now that is certainly 'vanity quality' wood!

And Birdswatter: let us know what you find at Ivory Beads. Very Happy

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

That is also above average Merkel engraving....I like the dog.

I will let you know what I find at Ivory Beads...he said they didn't even have them all out yet, no room, but he would show me the 16's. Plastic cards are staying at home!
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:00 am  Reply with quote

Tjc, It's funny my ffl guy just called and said a merk 1620 with pistol grip showed up on the ups truck. He says he doesn't think that he ordered me one in that configuration(he knows pistol grips is for sissy's) want me to tell him you'll take it?? Says it's got the custom wood.

BTW you ever order those rst's in 2 1/2 x #5? Need to get some for the ks thing, think I'll bring the little hammer gun as well
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:16 am  Reply with quote

Never ordered the RST's. Wasn't sure who, what or how many.

You kidding about the 1620? If not, give me his number. I just have to make sure I can cancel the one I got and get my deposit back. Also want to hear the price. Wink

hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Now Tjc, would I kid you???? The FFl guy said for you to send me a check for $6500, and make it out to me, as he wants no record of the transaction, then I'll geve him the ching and get you the gun.

Your friend
Thuddddddd

You still want to get a flat of #5's? I'll be swing thru your way the 10th on my journey to Ks
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:57 am  Reply with quote

sprocket wrote:
I'm gonna be all practical and crap about this:

I'm just gonna buy more shells and try to use them Smile

Now comes the voice of reason, from a newby no less. Well said sprocket.

Here is a basic recipe for shotgunning success: Buy one well made, but down to earth gun in your favorite gauge. Next, after assuring the barrels shoot where you look to within reason, have the stock fitted so it shoots exactly where you look. Take the rest of the money and buy a reloader, some componants, and fabricate as many shells as it takes to master the use of the gun at your local skeet field. Finally. Measure the stock dimensions and store for future use.

...but that is so organized and, quite frankly, boring as cold oatmeal. So what the hell. Its better when every new gun purchase is an adventure. So little time--so many guns. Wink
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

I'm posting this on both threads so everyone finds it.

WOW! I haven't handled or even seen that many Parkers in one place, ever! These guns have not been added to the website yet. I saw most of the 16's, one beautiful VHE (almost came home with me, but the stock is cast-on and fits poorly). One outstanding Damascus barreled 16. There were two more full racks of 20's and 12's, with many more in the back. No idea where they are going to put them all. Prices ranged from $1700. for a decent Trojan to way-beyond-my-means thousands. Most of the better ones were 4K and up.

The ten or so that I handled all appeared to have mirror bores, some levers were right-of-center, several were left-of-center. Several appeared near-new. All locked up tight. Keep in mind that I am by no means an expert, but I would say that this is an outstanding collection with huge variety and with conditions varying from "shooter" to almost "as-new." I did not observe a single beater. It was overload for a double-gun enthusiast. I highly recommend that any of you in the area pay them a visit.

Padre was going to try and stop by, but I did not see him.

Other notables:
A 1957 Model 12 (16 ga. of course) that appears unfired.......$1100.

A near mint A. Fox (20 ga. if I remember correctly)........around 14K.

My Pudelpointer went with me and layed around the gun room while I fondled Parkers. Even he seemed impressed with them!

I don't smoke, but felt like I needed a cigarette when I walked out. Wink
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
Now Tjc, would I kid you???? The FFl guy said for you to send me a check for $6500, and make it out to me, as he wants no record of the transaction, then I'll geve him the ching and get you the gun.

Your friend
Thuddddddd

You still want to get a flat of #5's? I'll be swing thru your way the 10th on my journey to Ks

Check's in the mail. Wink

Checking on the RST's tomorrow.

Foursquare
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:21 am  Reply with quote

Money's no object? Hmmmm.......

AyA Modelo Senior, 16, 30" Sk 1/Sk 2, SPG with 15" pull, 6 1/4 lbs, balanced 1" ahead of the pin.

The Senior is an exact copy of the Beesley/Purdy self opener, someting I've lusted after for many a year. Of course, Aya doesn't make them any more, but I can dream, can't I?

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Fluesy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:24 am  Reply with quote

I have pondered Long and Intently, 4 or 5 Gun Shows ago a Gentlemen had a Parker Trojan that had been refinished, 16 Gauge I/C & Mod, 28" DT, Splinter. I wouldn't even try guessing the dimensions, it plain and simply fit like the proverbial glove. It beckons and whispers to me in the quiet moments, I will keep my eyes wide open waiting patiently for another of equal condition to come into view. However the last trip to Cabela's in Glendale, there were still quite a number of Model 12's in assorted conditions, configurations and different chokings. They are continually calling, telling me of the many birds they still hold. I have to have one. Then my whore-ish heart always watches for those cute little 28 Gauges of any configuration. I sorta would like a 16 automatic of some sort, perhaps an 1100 Remington. Does anybody besides Remington or Browning make an automatic 16 Gauge?
Have a Great Day
Chet
Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:20 am  Reply with quote

I think my next 16 gauge purchase might be only having choke tubes installed in my Model 12. That might make it like 2 or more guns in one. Or maybe it wouldn't have that result, since the gun has a modified choke and is pretty good all-around as it is. Anyway, this pump handles a lot like a nice light double bird gun and I am not looking for another 16 to replace it (but who knows what might turn up somewhere!). Smile