16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Skeet range layout
Ga16ga
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:48 am  Reply with quote

It's alway been a dream of mine to have my own skeet range right out my back door. Don't know why, but I've always wanted enough property to have one.

Well, next Thursday we close on 52+ acres in the NC piedmont area. So I will soon have the property.

I have looked online trying to find a layout and other info for constructing a skeet field. I can find the basic course diagram, but nothing on laying one out or how much land one needs.

Does anyone know of a link to any info?

Thanks,

Randy
Equismith
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:08 am  Reply with quote

NSSA has blueprints.

Also, this has been hashed out in a quite detailed way on www.shotgunworld.com

Go to the skeet forum section.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=79054&highlight=skeet+field+layout

User Case has good infor as well.

Also, SGW user cbxchris made one and he lives in Thomasville.

Where in the Piedmont are you moving? I live in Asheboro and shoot on a range set up where a cutover (timber) was left after the trees were clearcut.

Miss Libby
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:21 am  Reply with quote

Good info!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

CF, I wish you much luck and success in your efforts. Having your own skeet field sounds like wonderfull thing. You could even incorporate a trap field right in the layout. doing so will afford you the facilities to shoot not only skeet and trap, but any number of combo games plus a decent 5 stand set up if you want to later.

I have helped lay out several combo fields over the years. I will not get into particulars but will offer some general pointers for your benifit.

First, select a location that will allow you to lay out your east to west baseline facing at right angles as dead north as possible. This will give you the best natural lighting you can get.

second, don't crowd your backfield up against tall trees, an overlooking hill, or a tall structure. You'll avoid the late afternoon shadows falling on the shooting line this way.

Third, figure about 300 yards or more in a semicircle out from your east west baseline at station 8 for shot fall. This is a bit more than you will normally need. However, doing so will avoid any number of issues which can arrize from where the spent shot finally ends up. Think wind. It can blow shot well past a right angle or add many yards to the normal distance shot can travel on a gusty day. Most folks think 175 yards is about max for #7-1/2 shot at 1250 FPS. This is a mistake. 250 yards or more is possible in the right conditions.

Fourth, avoid any wetlands areas or water recharge areas within the projected shot fall area beforehand. This is vital if you want to avoid any problems with any environmental authority in your area. You might want to consider the terrain in this area too. At some point, your state might want you to have the shot reclaimed or cleaned up periodically.

Finally, figure on some sort of secutity to keep folks out of the danger area down range-especially children. A shooting range can be considered an attractive nuisance when it comes to the curious and the kids. You will be held responsible for any harm that might befall a minor or a mentally handicapped individual. So play it safe from the get go. Hope this info helps you.
Ga16ga
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks all!

Equismith, I guess it's considered the northen piedmont, maybe the foothills. Anyway, it's outside of Pilot Mountain in Stokes county.

Last edited by Ga16ga on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Equismith
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

Ah yes.

Rural Hall

King

Mt. Airy

And of course, Pilot Mountain. The entrance to God's Country (His ottoman, I'd say).
http://www.eenorthcarolina.org/eecenters/centers/pilotmountainsp.htm

Windy Hill Trading Post isn't too far away from there. Up Hwy 601 just north of Yadkinville. Nice Skeet and rifle/pistol ranges. Excellent folks and a great gunshop. Probably west from where you will be located.

I hope you hunt deer. They're quite abundant here. And you'll not be too far away from the true Blue Ridge and grouse hunting. Thurmond Chatham Gamelands offers some grouse hunting.

http://www.wildlife.state.nc.us/pg04_HuntingTrapping/pg4a1_thurmond.pdf

Miss Libby
Ga16ga
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

I'll be on hwy 66 just north of 268. Actually the mailing address is Westfield. I do hunt deer, or did. I've become bored with that. Only hunted 2 days in the last 3 years and that was last weekend. Would rather watch my Gordon Setters find grouse/woodcock/quail and someday pheasant and other plains state birds!

Thanks for the info on Thurmond Chatham.
old16
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:44 am  Reply with quote

You lucky guy.
I had a trap range several yrs ago on a farm my daughter had. Tt the end we were shooting 3 days a week right through the winter months snow and all. These guys whould shoot till midnight. One fellow worked for the phone company. Came home one after noon and there was three telephone poles set and the wire strung. I didn't know anything about it till it was time to shoot.
Sure hated it when my daughter sold the farm. I figure some day I will get some more ground and do it all over again.

I wish you all the luck and fun. Good shooten

16'er
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:22 am  Reply with quote

Your not too far from Friendship Sporting clays, which I'm sure you have been by. I like thier wobble setup. Good place to get new shooters used to clay targets.

I remember reading about a variation of skeet called "riverside skeet" two traps with five stations between. traps on flank crossing out front at 45 degree trajectory. Kinda like skeet, but kinda like five stand. I always though if I had the money and land, might be an option to have a convertible field. Always wondered why some places which have what seems to be unused skeet fields don't convert one range to something like this for fun... Guess they need those skeet fields for competition days...

best of luck...