16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ducks on the (Indiana) Ditches--2006
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

There has been a lot more rain in northern Indiana this fall than last fall, and the duck population has reflected that. My son and I hunted the opening weekend of the split season (that season lasted about 6 days) and between us we shot 22 ducks---7 mallards, 1 greenwing teal and the balance were wood ducks. Then on Oct. 28, the main season opened and will run until sometime in December. This past four days, in between cutting firewood and finishing our pole building, I've managed to shoot 6 more ducks---3 woodies and 3 mallards-- from the irrigation ditches and sloughs near here.
These were all bagged with the 16 ga. Citori and the 16 ga, full choke model 12 Winchester. The #4 Bismuth loads were used and they worked great. The range was between 8 yards and about 30 yards. The dog did the real work; those muck ditches have gotta be just awful to wade.
We saw a number of roosters, three flocks of cranes, and a few deer. This is the best time of year....and finally....our South Dakota trip is just 4 days away !! This is what we live for....

chopper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

I leave tomorrow at 6:00 PM to go to the Groton, South Dakota area...see you there!!!
chopper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

...and congratulations on the ducks! Only ducks I see are on golf course and business/appartment ponds down here...
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

thanks chopper---I work with a guy who just got back from the Aberdeen, SD area ; he and some buddies hunted there for 4 days last week and had a fine time---SD is loaded with pheasants he says...