71%
 71%  [ 45 ]
YES for me, but NO for others
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 63

16'er
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:13 pm  Reply with quote

Many forums have a post count minimum and time duration requirement to post in the for sale forums. I wouldn't be against that here, not that any one asked. Also would like to see some guidelines for posting. Weight, dimensions, chokes, chamber length should always be included. Also no one should be allowed to post with out upgrading their profile without a location given.

I don't mind an interesting bird gun in another small gauge. (Or even a nice english 12 bore *gasp*) As long as the majority of the guns are 16ga. That's how it has been around here for a whole without any help policing. When a maverick 88 pistol grip with a tactical rail and laser gets posted, I'll start complaining.

Seeing no one in this thread has any ability to change any of this, I'll just chock all the above to p!$$!^g into the wind. Carry on.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:00 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
So I guess it is your business then, to remind me of what my business is, even though it is business you say you don't care about. . . . . Truly hilarious, Ted!

As you say in your posts, "Well sir, stupidity isn't technically against the law, and on that note, I'll remove the handcuffs and you are free to go".

Of course, with all due respect, you know.

All the Best to you too, Ted.

Wrong. At no point did I say what your business IS, I simply pointed out that you are not an administrator, a moderator, or an owner of this site, and how it is run and what happens here is NOT your business. Simple as that.

The site is long overdue for some changes. I say that because the company that I owned that imported Darne shotguns is still listed in the Manufacturers section, right where Doug Oliver put it, long ago, and it has been a long time since anyone ordered a Darne shotgun from "The Drumming Stump, Inc". There is no importer for North America for that line of guns, and it would be very difficult for someone here to buy one. I am pretty sure Doug just never got the chance to update that. There are informational changes that could stand clarification as well.

As to my tag line, that goes back to an incident that happened longer ago than I care to remember, to two travelers, who had a chance meeting outside an airport after flights from different points in the country, and shared a cab ride to a hotel. The same travelers agreed to meet for dinner, since they were alone and didn't know anyone in the town they were in. Said travelers discovered a shared interest in the outdoors, and a bit of shotgunning, and after dinner went to a patio off the restaurant to enjoy the evening air. The travelers position overlooked the main entrance to a honky tonk that had a disturbance of some sort going on, and a policeman came out with a youth, shirtless, shoeless, and wearing long blue jeans, put the man in handcuffs and told him to sit on the curb outside the bar while he figured out what was going on. The young man was able to get his hands under his bum and get his handcuffed arms behind his legs and worked his feet between his hands to get his hands in front of him, and then proceeded to climb a light post, wearing the handcuffs, and sat on top of it! When the policeman came out he asked the speechless travelers if they had seen where the handcuffed young man had gone, and they dutifully pointed to the top of the lightpost. The cop told the kid to come down, which, he did, and asked the cop if he was going to jail. The cop then spoke the line that appears in my posts.
The two travelers shared a hearty laugh at what had just happened, but would not speak to each other for many years, until several years after one of them started a website called 16gauge.com, and the other contacted him about joining. The travelers were none other than Doug Oliver, and myself, and the line wouldn't mean anything to anybody but us, and perhaps the cop or the kid.

It has been my tag line most of the time I have been here. It wouldn't mean anything to you, but, Doug remembered it. I did too. It was one of those moments in life that stick with you, and, despite your inference, it wasn't directed at me, or anyone I knew.

I would simply suggest that you let the administrator handle matters of rules and decorum on the site, as he was a friend of Doug's (as I am priviledged to consider myself, albeit, by chance, and, unfortunately, briefly) and has been entrusted by Doug's family to do just that.

You, not so much.

Best,
Ted

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:50 am  Reply with quote

Cool story Ted.

Marc

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
JonP
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:41 am  Reply with quote

We're making a mountain out of a mole hill here...JMHO. Any influence because a 12 gauge or a set of reloading dies is offered would seem to be of minimal danger. if we find ourselves being over run by 20 gauge fanatics, we can revisit the issue.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

This is the 16 Gauge Society, very unique and a great website.......I prefer that it stays the way that Mr. Oliver intended.

Cass
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

If it is needed, then just set up another sub-forum heading called: "Other Guns Wanted or For Sale".

I enjoy looking for the 16ga. items without having to sort through other items.

Cass
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Cass wrote:
If it is needed, then just set up another sub-forum heading called: "Other Guns Wanted or For Sale".

I enjoy looking for the 16ga. items without having to sort through other items.

Cass

Cass, Cass, that can never work,it makes too much sense, and above all you wouldn't be a pure 16 ga shotgun shooter, who denies the existence of other gauges, and is a true gentleman in every respect.

I know how tough it must be on you sorting through those inferior gauges just trying to find a 16 ga gun.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

Dale: You are bad, bad, bad. Funny.....but bad.

Cass
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:35 am  Reply with quote

True, that is funny, ha!

Excuse me now, I going to shoot my 16ga.'s so I need to put on my tweed jacket and tie.....

Cass Wink
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Cass wrote:
True, that is funny, ha!

Excuse me now, I going to shoot my 16ga.'s so I need to put on my tweed jacket and tie.....

Cass Wink

Now you're talking! Let me grab my pipe, gather up my English Setter, don my bowler, grab my 16ga sxs, and we will have a lovely little shoot together. Wink

Have a good one Cass.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:28 am  Reply with quote

As much as I've avoided this ongoing 'discussion', I will say I think our beloved site would only benefit from an expanded format. I'd endorse a page for non 16 ga related hunting or sporting sales, a culinary page, and a separate reloading page apart from ammo. The more people that engage us the better our gauge will do moving forward. Limited discussion pages allows less interference to occur, I take mindful care of determining which page I choose to post my questions in based on the intent of that page.

But then again, I only found this site in early 2014 and can't claim any ownership or tie to the original intent. I'm just happy to be hear and only hope that in the future our long term preservation can be managed. If I'm given an opportunity to be a part of that future planning I would not turn from the chance or work.

Let's not forget all of us love this place and only want to see our home grow bigger and stronger. I'd encourage everyone to keep the demeanor civil and respectful to other members.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
ermadear55
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

The sub forum header is a great idea. Charlie16ga said it very well. This site is great and great things have happened because of it.
JonP
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Good idea...non 16 ga page...as long as we can restrict access to the intolerant purists Wink
sl93z
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

When my friend passed away his widow knew I would be interested in his firearms. The only one I REALLY wanted was an AH Fox 16 single trigger with ejectors. Alas, it was given to a son-in-law, but I had my choice of several other guns to buy, including two Win Model 21s in 12 ga (one a seldom shot trap grade in pristine condition). I couldn't afford them at the time but did post them on this forum. AmericanMeet made a road trip the next day and bought some very nice guns at a more than fair price. It was a good deal for him and a great help to my friends widow. I am glad someone on this forum was able to benefit from the sale as I find the members here to be straight shooters and a rather gentlemanly group.

Though I like the focus on 16 gauges, I would be OK if we created a "other than 16 ga" for sale section for the "unique and interesting" guns offered for sale.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:03 am  Reply with quote

I say we keep it just the way it is.