16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Short shells for pheasant
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:37 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
Another 16er and I were discussing options and thought this might be helpful for someone with a 2 and 1/2" (65mm) gun:

Not to pick on you Rev, but I wonder where this 2 1/2" 16Ga hull was conceived??

While 65mm is/was the common 16 bore European chambering of the past... IT IS NOT 2 1/2"! .......65mm x .03937 = 2.559" OR JUST 3 1/2 THOUSANDTHS SHY OF 2 9/16"! Funny, this was the American standard length for the 16 Gauge long before 2 3/4" arrived both in shells or chambering.

2 1/2" is 63.5mm......... I won't say a European gun may not be so marked for chambers, just that I haven't seen one.

One may even find the chambers at a real 2 1/2" or EVEN LESS on older guns.... My old Winchesters are only 2 7/16"!!!

Sorry for the rant, but ol' Mr Randall would have flunked me for sure in math a half century ago if I ever "rounded off" 2.559" to 2.5" (or 2 1/2") instead of 2.5625" (2 9/16")

Slidehammer
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Ol' Mr Smartypants Slidehammer is of course correct Very Happy
BTW: The B&P shells (designed for short chamber European guns) are 67mm.

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:34 am  Reply with quote

It's quite typical for the Europeans to use 67 or 67.5MM hulls in their loads designed for guns with short chambers. The hull is a bit longer than the chamber, but that doesn't make any difference anyhow as long as the pressure is appropriate for the gun in question--UNLESS it happens to be a very old gun with extremely short and sharply tapered forcing cones. Then you may need to seek out true 2 1/2" hulls.

I've got a bunch of the Gamebore "Pure Gold" loads, paper hulls, 65MM, for my Brit 12. They're good ones, but unfortunately not available in 16--although the Gamebore "Traditional Game" line does include 16's.