16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New to the gauge- not the hunt
IntheBeech
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

Neither impressed nor intimidated by the discussions of ten thousand dollar guns, I would just offer my proud entrance into this fine gauge. I lightened my gun cabinet by nearly eight pounds of over under this year, to replace that anchor with a very old, well-worn but still lively Ithaca 37 with a modified choke. She will tickle your shoulder if you shoot her in shirt sleeves at more than a few dozen clays, but that's not what she was built for.
A half dozen hard hunts through the northern Pennsylvania woods, and the six and a quarter pound wand has brough me a woodcock. I'd prefer to not mention the missed grouse and in my own defense, none of the shots were much better than wishfull, but I can say that for the first time in ten years, I can not assign blame to tired arms.
The sixteen is truley a hunting gauge and for a fortieth of the above mentioned price, I will never wear out this fine, well fitting weapon.
Good luck to all this season.
Leave a few in the woods.
Inthebeech

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

Inthebeech,

Well said, and welcome. I think you will find some kindred spirits here.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard ITB! It is fun when old becomes something new. Very Happy

hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the board Laughing
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:47 am  Reply with quote

I bought a 1969 roto forged model with a 28" ribbed barrel over a year ago. I got a new 24" choke tubed barrel for it a few months later. This set up is one sweet handling, quick, slick, and deadly little pump IMO. I've shot just about all the birds I've taken this year with it.

For pheasant, I'm loading a 1 ounce #6 handload in front of a 1-1/8 ounce #5 load. I alternate them to come up just this way. The mag handles 4 shells. I normally have 3 in the mag tube, one ready for the spout. So far, I've needed only one shell per bird, but it's nice to know the second one ready is the crusher just in case.

I also carry the gun Maine grouser style, with the forend back, a shell on the lifters, with my right hand on the grip, and the gun barrel rested vertically on my right shoulder. I've found it to be a very safe and certain way to cruise and still hunt. This mode of carry is possible only with a model 37. Once I'm certain a shot is immenent, I lower the gun to level, left hand on the forend. The chamber remains empty until the flush. The gun goes into battery as I bring it to bear on the bird;s line of flight. It works to perfection.

Some folks have claimed the gun will jam this way. I can't get it to jam. I've tried all different ways. It just won't. It won't double feed a shell. I have tried. It won't do it. Once the extractor snaps over the shell rim, it won't let go either. It's about like the Mauser 98 in this way. It will not release a shell from the magazine until the one ahead of it has been fully ejected. It just won't do it.

I've also tried to get the gun to "autoload' a shell by accident. No dice. I've repeatedly snapped the gun down one handed to see if it will gravity feed the shell. It will not do this with a shell on the lifters. It will close like this only on an empty chamber. It takes a deliberate and complete forward stroke of the forend to bring the gun to battery with a shell. It's probably one of the safest, surest pump designs ever made IMO. It also has the shortest, slickest pump stroke of any of them. It is just plain quick, period.

I'm convinced the Model 37 pump is one excellent design for a hunting gun. In 16 ga, it just does not get any better. I think its the best upland pump ever. It's also nice to know they are still making it.