16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  South Dakota...Pheasant Hunt
Mitch3
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

Just a note to let the 16 gagers know I'm heading to Presho, S.D. @ Tori-Lil Farms for a late season pheasant hunt. We are leaving on the 26th from Houston,Tx. and we will began hunting on the 28th. I plan to break in a new 16 ga. sxs Merkel on the pheasants. There will be pictures to follow.

Mitch3
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the Society Mitch-I was blessed to have a neighbor in KC who grew up in Presho and was able to hunt her dad's farm several times. No better pheasant hunting in the US tho' the drought did significantly affect that area this year. If you can, go by Hutch's for breakfast: 2 sausage patties and 2 giant pancakes for $3.75 last time I was there and great eating! Very Happy Can't wait to see the pics-beautiful country and "the sky is filled with the mind of God" (from a little girl's diary written homesteading in the Dakotas in the late 1800s)

Mitch3
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:57 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the breakfast tip. I have never been to Presho and have no idea where a good meal might be found.
Hopefully the 2005 hatch will still be around to help fill out our limit.

Mitch3
blackdogsrule
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:22 am  Reply with quote

I always wanted to hunt Tor-Lil as they advertise all wild birds. Let us know if you feel that is true. Alot of places in SD avertise "all wild" birds but most outfits release most of their birds. Unless you have hunted alot of wild pheasants it can be hard to distinguish.

I hunted both this year and the drought and lack of cover made the hunting really tough around Onida. Spooky birds and long shots.
granitecityminnesota
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:37 am  Reply with quote

You want wild.........go to North Dakota and hunt public or unposted land. There you will find WILD pheasants. You either have to post a person on the end or run with your dog to keep up them....and if there is snow on the ground good luck......all the dumb ones are killed the first week

You are right the sky's of the dakotas are gods country.

I look forward to your pictures as well.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

You've not seen Dakota sky until you've stood at the top of Mato Paha and looked out in all directions. Then you will know why the Lakota and the Arapaho call it the center of the world and why the old ones faithfully go there every summer to offer prayers. It is truely humbling and enrapturing to one's spirit all at one time.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Had the chance of a life time when I found a cousin in Milbank, South Dakota. He invited me out and said there were more birds this year than he had ever seen. They were wild but were shootable. The sections of land had sloughs covering the low areas. They were dry but the cats and cut grass were tall and challanging. By the third day the lab had worn here nose raw and was bleeding every day there after. I hope your trip is as eye opening Shocked as mine and as successful.
Best,
Ron
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

Mitch3, good luck on your adventure, it should be a good one. I am shooting a Merkel as well - - a 1620. Very Happy

blackdogsrule
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

The first time you hunt wild birds a light will go off. They are smart and fast. getting a shot or 2 is a challenge for you and your dog. There is nothing like wild pheasants.
Mitch3
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:34 am  Reply with quote

The Merkel I purchased is a 1620. I am excited about this gun. If it shoots as well as it feels and swings the birds are in trouble, well maybe?

Mitch3 Wink