16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 gauge reloading advice
Hunter&Hound
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Hello.

I just got my first 16 gauge. Considering the cost and availability of 16 gauge shells, I'm thinking I want to reload.

I need suggestions on what I need to get started. I have the 16 Gauge Manual - Fifth edition on the way.

But, I'm looking for suggestion on a make/model for a reloader, as well as supplies I'll need. Also, a good source to get the supplies.

I'm an avid grouse and woodcock hunter (what an awesome season it's been!). I also make at least 1 trip to Iowa each fall for pheasant. I'm thinking 1oz or 1-1/8 ounce loads mainly, but also some 1-1/4oz. for pheasants.

Please help a novice out!

Thanks!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. you are already on the right track. To get the most out of the 16, folks have to reload--at least in the U.S..

So how about letting us know how you intend to use the gun (by the way, what is it?). Will you want to shoot skeet with it? How many shells you will shoot in a week, a month, a year? Have you ever reloaded before? What is your favorite shell or which one will you have the most emties of? Etc. The more info you give us, the better we can help you get started right.

There is actually a fair selection of reloading componants for the ga., just not as many as for a 12 or 20 ga.. Think about what you will want from the gun. we will help you feed it from light kicking 3/4 and 7/8 ounce target ammo to 1-1/4 ounce crushers. Good luck.
Hunter&Hound
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I'm really starting out empty handed.

I just got a 16 gauge Browning Citori White Lightning w/ 26" barrels. I already have a 12 gauge Ruger Red Label w/ 28" barrels.

I really wanted a smaller, lighter gun. My bro has a 20 gauge Ruger Red Label w/ 26" barrels, but I really didn't want to go with a 20. I've always been intrigued with the 16 gauge. Recently I was on a trip to Iowa, and my buddies from down there all shoot 16 gauges. I was amazed at what they could do with the 16 gauge with relatively light loads. They said Browning just made the Citori in 16 gauge, so I began my search as soon as I got home.

Now, I'm pretty much a ruffed grouse hunter. I also love the woodcock early in the season while they're still around. I have an old GSP that works close and slow. Most of my shooting is close over points...but some days the grouse just don't let you walk up on them.

Anyhow, in the 12 gauge I usually shoot 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 loads in #6 or #7-1/2 shot with a skeet or I/C choke. That probably seems heavy to a lot of you guys...but it's what I've used for a long time with very good results.

I don't know if I should stick with similar loads with the 16 or not.

I want to reload, but I have no experience with reloading. I just know that availability and price of loads will make reloading worthwhile. So, I'm really starting from scratch. My brother reloads 12 and 20 gauge, so I do have some help with the basics.

I need suggestions on all reloading supplies and suggestions for loads.

Thanks for any input. Please don't be afraid to be critical...I'm very ignorant about the 16 gauge.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

Visit the MEC page at www.mecreloaders.com this will get you started in the right direction. You would be well served for your needs with a 600 or sizemaster.
pezman1963
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:06 am  Reply with quote

Hunter&Hound wrote:
Hello.

I just got my first 16 gauge. Considering the cost and availability of 16 gauge shells, I'm thinking I want to reload.

I need suggestions on what I need to get started. I have the 16 Gauge Manual - Fifth edition on the way.

But, I'm looking for suggestion on a make/model for a reloader, as well as supplies I'll need. Also, a good source to get the supplies.

I'm an avid grouse and woodcock hunter (what an awesome season it's been!). I also make at least 1 trip to Iowa each fall for pheasant. I'm thinking 1oz or 1-1/8 ounce loads mainly, but also some 1-1/4oz. for pheasants.

Please help a novice out!

Thanks!

I use the Lee Load All II for 12, 16, & 20 gauge
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/40508-11698-1751.html
the best part is its very inexpensive.
It converts to other gauges easily and cheaply.
Plus it lasts.
I got 30,000 loads on mine.

Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:10 am  Reply with quote

If this is your first venture into reloading, I would strongly recommend you start with a single stage press. Once you get a few thousand rounds under your belt you can always trade up to a progressive. Smile

I've used MECs, but I've never been happier with a press than I am with my P/W 375. They're pricey, but what a pleasure to use!
www.reloaders.com

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."