16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Kent and Gamebore Pressures?
sage1
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

I've been shooting std Kent and Estate shells in my Sterlingworth. Some folks say it's OK to do so and some say it isn't. Today I looked into what the pressure are for the Kent Ultimate 1oz load of #6 and the factory rep said 9500 to 10,500. The Gamebore loads are 8100. I don't reload and don't know if these numbers refer to psi or lup. Either way, is the 9500 to 10,500 considered way to high to in a Sterlingworth? Is the 8100 Gamebore shell that much lower that it's a significant improvement?

Thank you in advance for sharing your ideas and experience.

Greg J
David
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:57 am  Reply with quote

sage 1, I have a few boxes of Gamebore's Traditional shells that are 2 1/2" with 28 grms shot (1 oz). I just emailed Gamebore to find out the pressures, still waiting for a response (Oct 1Cool. I bought both 20 ga. and 16 ga.. As soon as I get a reply I will post them.
Little Creek
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

You said:

I've been shooting std Kent and Estate shells in my Sterlingworth. Some folks say it's OK to do so and some say it isn't. Today I looked into what the pressure are for the Kent Ultimate 1oz load of #6 and the factory rep said 9500 to 10,500. The Gamebore loads are 8100. I don't reload and don't know if these numbers refer to psi or lup. Either way, is the 9500 to 10,500 considered way to high to in a Sterlingworth? Is the 8100 Gamebore shell that much lower that it's a significant improvement?

I have had and used 6 Sterlingworths. I occasionally shoot clays with them, but don't consdier them guns I want to shoot thousands of rounds a year. Meanwhile, hunting, I usually load fairly low pressure loads with Federal, Fiocchi or Black Remington hulls. I have never seen a problem with any loads I use. I recommend Federals or Fiocchis if you want to use conservative pressure 1 ounce loads. I have also used 1-1/8 ounce loads on wild pheasant a month after the season opens. Again, no problem.

Generally, I use guns who's actions are in very good condition...not loose. If you shoot a modern gun with a loose action, you will put just as much wear on it as an old gun. If you have short chambers, there has been plenty written about the slightly higher pressure generated with 2-3/4" shells. The chambers in my Sterlingworths are 2-3/4" because I hunt with them and don't have access to short shells when I travel.

Larry Brown writes on several websites, and magazines. I know he uses quite a variety of guns, and uses up to 1-1/4 ounce loads in some of them.

Hope this gives you some confidence. In summary, I would always go with lighter pressure loads if possible because of other attendant issues...like recoil. If you have a choice of two similar loads that pattern well in your gun, why not use the lighter pressure one! Extra velocity never got me anything! Amen Mike.