16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New member...Need Advice.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:34 am  Reply with quote

Foursquare wrote:

"Two thoughts here. The typical American shotgun is stocked around 14 3/8" pull, which is fine if you are the typical 5'9" American from 50 years ago."

Have you been peeking in my window? Laughing I'm 5'8" with average build, about 59, but feel older by a decade, so you could say I'm from all of 50 yeas ago. Rolling Eyes Just about any gun with about 14-1/4" LOP and the standard drop to heel and comb fits me like it was custom made. Just dumb luck.

My point is that gun fit and not gauge is the key to successful, and comfortable shooting. If you wish to shoot sporting clays, a 12 ga is the way to go. There are far more ammo offerings at very good prices for the 12. Moderate velocity 7/8 ounce to 1-1/8 ounce loads will not kick in an 8 pound gun either if the gun fits you. So Foursquare is on target. Find one that does, and get some competant help to do it if you don't have the experience.

For skeet, a 6-1/2 to 7 pound 28 gauge gun is hard to beat, but a 16 with 3/4 ounce handloads is just as comfortable to shoot. Pick your gauge , but again, first learn about gun fit. A gun that fits you well and shoots where you look is the key. Start there. Good luck.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:54 am  Reply with quote

Buy a sixteen no matter what. Ammo is available.Seems to me a 12 is too much and a 20 not enough for you. So a 16 is perfect for you and thats the way I feel too. I never handled a 12 that felt anything like a sixteen.There were ammo threads a few weeks ago about cheap remington ammo at bass pro. Just make sure you always buy extra. If you run out just Pm TJC he always has 20 to 25 cases on hand. And by the way it should be a double can't see why anyone in there right mind would tell you to buy a 12 gauge auto, There just plain ugly. I thought this was the 16 gauge society. I'm just joking around Maybe.