16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Does Hull Length Really Make a Difference?
Ed Blake
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:46 am  Reply with quote

I have read many of the past posts devoted to the subject of 2.5 vs. 2.75" hulls. From what I can determine if a low pressure load is used with the noted components, and a roll crimp, the length of the hull should not make a difference. Correct?
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:05 am  Reply with quote

From the 'Chamber Length' announcement on the 'Guns' Forum, a quote by Sherman Bell:

"With loads that are sensible in a light 2 1/2 inch gun, we see no dangerous pressure levels produced. I see no reason, related to safety, to modify an original 2 1/2 inch chambered gun to shoot 2 3/4 shells, If The 2 3/4 Inch Load You Intend To Use Would Develop Pressure That Is Safe In That Gun, When Fired In A Standard Chamber!

His studies showed no more than a 300 psi increase shooting 2 3/4" shells in a short chamber.
Be aware however, that some 2 1/2" nominal chambers are cut closer to 2 3/8" (like my 20g 1922 Trojan) and recoil is wicked with 2 3/4" AA target loads.

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Ed. This is correct. Your main concern should be that the load you are shooting is of the proper pressure. Shooting a 6000 PSI, 2-3/4" load in a gun chambered at 2-9/16" might raise the pressure a couple hundred psi.
I shoot 2-3/4" loads in my 2-5/8" chambered 12 gauges. And 2-3/4" loads in my 2-9/16" chambered 16 gauge guns. If you measure a bunch of factory 2-3/4" shells, you'll find allot of them are under that length.
Chukarman
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

I regularly shoot Win AA16 hulls with light (low pressure) loads in my 5 lb. 9 ounce Harkom with 2-1/2" chambers. These loads use 20 grns of 7625, R16 wad, and CCI 209 primers. I think they produce <7000 PSI.

The big thing is a lower pressure load comensurate with the proof level of the gun. 1/4" of chamber length is not a big deal.

C Man

Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

Pressure aside, longer than spec. hull length does make a difference in autoloaders and pumps.

Some of the earlier guns made for short shells will not eject the 2 3/4 in shells.

Jeff
Chukarman
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff Mulliken wrote:
Pressure aside, longer than spec. hull length does make a difference in autoloaders and pumps.

Some of the earlier guns made for short shells will not eject the 2 3/4 in shells.

Jeff

Jeff

Quite right! I forget that not everyone shoots a breakk open gun.

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

I've always shot low pressure 2 3/4" reloads in 2 1/2" chambered doubles with no problems. However, there is one caveat to that advice: very old guns (usually Damascus) with extremely short, sharply tapered forcing cones. Charles Fergus reported on an incident with one of those once, in Shooting Sportsman. He wasn't using reloads, but rather British 67MM shells, CIP proof, designed for 2 1/2" guns (it'll tell you the latter information, right on the shell box). They worked fine in his newer (30's vintage) Brit gun, but resulted in extremely sharp recoil and blown ends on the hulls in a gun from, I think, the 1880's. When he tried true 2 1/2" shells in that older gun, they worked fine.
Ed Blake
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. I have an 1889 16 ga. Remington that I have shot both 2.5" and 2 3/4" shells. I watched for deformation on the ends of the 2 3/4", but it seems the shells opened just fine. Information from the 16GA LPG has provided several loads using Unique and Longshot powders with under 5,500 psi. A current article in the on-line publication Double Gun Classics talks about reaming short chambers out to 2 3/4". The author said sharp shoulders seemed to be prevelant in European guns more so than American or British.