16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  M21 Turkey gun.
kgb
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

It's better to be lucky than good. Also, to carry some 4's around when grouse and woodcock hunting!

M21 16, two triggers, 26" bbls with .000" and .003" chokes. At 20 yards, who needs more?

Highcountry
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Your timing couldn't be sweeter! Nice turkey.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

What ----no fibre optics,camo stock,pistol grip,specialized calls,3 in chambers,etc.,ad nausem and you still collected a nice bird,,,,hmmm..... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

Great shooting, KGB ! You've certainly got the makings of a fine dinner there ! Nice gun too....

kgb
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, guys....nice gun? What about nice hat? It do say 16ga!

kgb

Lockster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:17 am  Reply with quote

KGB, I've also got a splinter, DT 16g Model 21. Apparently they're rarer than hen's teeth. Is there anyway you should give us a better picture of the gun? Nice work on that turkey.

Here's mine...

one more

kgb
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

Lockster, they're only rare if you're trying to buy. If you want to sell, they're probably "undesirable, low optioned" Very Happy . I've got 2 of them, both have 26" barrels.

This is the first one, it was advertised as having extractors but turned out to have ejectors. Either way would have been okay with me. IC and IM chokes, it works just fine although the IM barrel is pretty open for that rating and won't give 65% patterns with the few loads I've so far tried in it.

I had a couple stocks made for it, this one's American walnut and the BT was made to approximate the smaller "Hession" BT they used to offer. Also had it refinished at Andy's Custom Shop. I patterned it with a M12 to compare Spred-R reloads.

The second one's also an ejector gun, it's a Trap grade that was restocked at some point and possibly refinished. Both guns were made in 1940. Mod in the right and Cylinder in the left, at some point the Mod was opened to .003" and it's what I use most often (even for turkeys, now).

Here's the pair of them together, the left is the IC/IM and the Trap's on the right. The stock on the Trap model was finished with a checkered butt and one day I'll probably switch over to the English walnut stock I had made for the first gun. It doesn't show here, but this one was made into a straight grip and all they did was straighten out the original, short trigger guard and inlet that into the stock. When I had the IC/IM gun restocked, I bought the proper, longer guard and had it finished with the rest of the gun at Andy's. Still have the original stock and guard for the IC/IM, and with that configuration the gun's about 14oz lighter. It shipped according to the paperwork at 6 1/4lbs but I weighed it at 5lbs 15oz.

The original buttstock is hollowed out. Is your gun's stock lightened similarly?

Lockster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful.

If I recall correctly mine is a 1936 gun. It weighs 6lbs11oz and balances right around the pin - fairly neutral. The stock has some nice figure for a field grade but it was really short so I had Galazan's put a Silver pad on it before I knew of Andy. It's not exactly a light weight but I'm a fairly big guy so it works out to my advantage. It's all original except for one minor repair to the forearm. Before I got it some shadetree gunsmith banged up the lump to make the gun tighter so I took it to Andy's. He cleaned things up and replaced a spring but the major surgery I was anticipating wasn't necessary. I know he takes his time but he's an honest guy and his work is excellent. If I ever need a re-rib or decide to have the gun refinished I'll take it to him. As it is, the gun shows lots of honest wear the checkering is soap bar smooth. I've grown attached to the way it looks and feels so I don't have any immediate plans to do anything. Mine has 28" tubes and I think the original Mod choke was opened by the previous owner. Apparently he was a gentleman in his 80s that did a LOT of pheasant, quail, woodcock and duck shooting in South Jersey during the good old days. When I got it the action face under the right barrel was worn silver but the left side was almost black. The guy must have been good shot. I bought it with half my life savings (2500) less than a week before I got married and I've never regretted it. I'm always on the lookout for other DT 16g Model 21s and I can count the ones I've seen on one hand. Yeah, I know the DT/splinter/ extractors are "less desirable"....sure....unless you're a serious bird hunter.

Thanks for posting the details and photos. Your guns are really something.

Lockster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

PS - I love the finish on these guns. That lustrous black is so nice. I think a fairly recent article in Shooting Sportsman magazine referred to them as "the American Black Widows". Works for me!

Here's one more - of me checking my fly apparently... Embarassed ..but you can see the gun a little better.

PPS - cool Gordon.

kgb
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

Lockster, those ARE good shots of your gun, show the essence of the metal and wood that make them up into a gun I like. There are darn few of them with engraving that truly look nice, the basic gun is sweet.

Looks like your pup's tired of the delays and just wants to get on with it!

kgb