16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Cabelas in Maine
nutcase
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

The transnitter on my E-Collar went capput yesterday so I went to cabela's to see what they had. While there I went and double checked the price on the Gamebore 16ga shells. They were sitting in the middle of an empty shelf with nothing else around with a tag just below with $22.99 on it. Looked closer at the tag. The description was for something else. So I don't know what the price was for sure, but they did have some 20ga at the end of the shelf for $8.99.
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:53 am  Reply with quote

quoteing myself:
Quote:
even if they only carry the bare minimum, maybe it will spur Bean's into being a little more competitive. Bean's has been resting on its laurels for entirely too long....unless of course you're into lycra bicycle shorts

I was in Bean's a month or so ago looking for 16ga. shells and didn't see any. I asked the man at the counter who replied all they stocked was the Remington Express loads. When I stated that most folks shooting the 16g where not going to be looking for "magnum" loads for partridge and woodcock (this was a the beginning of upland season) he replied that "upper management" had decided not to carry Game Loads anymore. That, of course, set me off on a tyrade 16gg would have been proud of Twisted Evil . I asked who I needed to talk to to get the problem fixed and was told to fill out a "suggestion" form which I did (front page and back).

Well, I went in a couple days ago and nothing has changed of course. When I mentioned I had filled out a complaint and asked whether it would have any effect, I was told they wouldn't make any changes to buying practice "for at least a year". This was stated in the same breath as "Bean's is really trying to focus on the hunting market again". I left muttering about a hunting store, that's supposed to be the consummate hunter's end all, that sells 16 gauge guns but not the ammo for it, and doesn't even carry Bismouth [for any guage) during waterfowl season requiring me to drive all the way to Kittery Trading Post! What? Me rant?

Phew! I feel better Laughing

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

onefunzr2 wrote:
In fact, cause they screwed me on a Namibian plains game safari, I have closed my account with them and been taken off their mailing list. They can go to hades for all I care.

At the risk of being too nosy, what happened with the safari?

All the same, I understand the hype of Cabelas or Bass Pro coming into a market and then being "underwhelmed" to put it mildly. I actually have gotten better service and prices via Academy Sports and other BPS competitors here since Bass Pro has been here. Plus, their gun selection isn't anything to write home about.... SIGH

KB
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

LL Bean's has vascillated between being a politically correct yuppie emporium and an outdoorsmen's store for over a decade. They got Yuppie Fever during the "Great Flyfishing Fiasco" of the early to mid- 90's and then dove into hiking and kayaking.

Unfortunately for them, most of the lemminglike yuppie diletantes found out flyfishing calls for knowledge and skill not easily obtained off of videos, and most have gotten too old and fat for their kayaks. Which means most ain't wearing out their hiking boots either. Rolling Eyes...and so it goes.

Keep right on tirading there Sebascodegan. It won't change anything but its great for the lungs. Wink
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

Sebascosauce - but did you get any DOG toys, beds or other trinkets while there?

I'm sure a new white turtle neck/mock neck and sweater would put you at ease, if not try the slippers...

Once upon a time there were stores that sold "gear" not clothes - or just clothes - most of the "clothes" I buy, I consider gear - a woolrich chamois is not clothes, bean boots are not clothes, wool socks are not clothes, etc...

the double ell store is merely a shade of what it started out as - same for that fru-fru house in VT...Ovaries or some such I think it's called - used to be a fly fishing shop...
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
the double ell store is merely a shade of what it started out as

True enough. I'm old enough to remember stopping at Bean's in the mid 60's as a young kid, when the store more closely resembled the "trading post" for hunters it started as. I can still remember the smell of tanned leather that seemed to permeate the place.

On the other hand, if one knows what one is looking for, there are still some good products. I bought my Filson tin clothe pants and vest there. If one has the money, they carry Merkels (had a 1620 at one point).

One of the problems is they sell so much trash now, and if one isn't careful, they'll downquality a good product they've sold for years (their wool coats are now made in China or such and are now a wool "blend"). Their Boyt breakdown gun cases have plastic zippers instead of the "heavy duty brass" ones they advertise. Not uncommon in these times, but dissapointing since they used to be a trustworthy establishment.

And don't even tell me about their wonderful return policy; I want a product that doesn't need to be returned in the first place!

(there I go again...16gg, are you contagious? ) Razz

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

Nope. We are both typical New Englanders. We are typically taciturn. We talk straight to the point without the flowery phrases, and usually piss off the bull shippers, the hairsplitters, and most folks from the South because we do. Laughing

Thats not to say most folks from the South are bull shippers and hairsplitters. We cranky Yankees just rub their Southern sensibilities the wrong way by being typically blunt as a brick. Its a cultural thing. Besides, what can you do with a bunch of yahoos that lose just about every damned battle but just don't have thegood sense to quit and go the hell home like most decent folks would. Laughing

PS, the most common complaint heard from the Southern ranks: " Are them dumbasses back again for another butt whipping. GAAAWD!! They just don't learn worth a shit."
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

Sebasco - you said it plainly enough

16GG - taciturn - what do you mean? Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

It can be used to indicate being laconic--uncommunicative, or as being frugally blunt with words or painfully plain and straight to the point. I'm referring to the second sense of the word.

Consider. I spoke the simple truth, and also managed to piss off any of LL Bean's upper management and most yuppies at the same time. How typical. Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing What can you do with a Yankee like me?
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
It can be used to indicate being laconic--uncommunicative, or as being frugally blunt with words or painfully plain and straight to the point. I'm referring to the second sense of the word.

Consider. I spoke the simple truth, and also managed to piss off any of LL Bean's upper management and most yuppies at the same time. How typical. Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing What can you do with a Yankee like me?

If I cold have used fewer words, I would have - a very subtle joke of sorts.

words I know - handely pull 'em down to make bullets stuff - not so much Wink

as for what can be done - I suspect dipped in beer, then dredge in flour & spices, repeat, fry until done and eat - tastes like floundah!