16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bismuth bummer
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Well my idea about using 1 oz Bismuth 4s (that sorta act like lead 5s) in the left brl of the LC didn't work out so good-3 TIMES the primer wouldn't detonate. No problem with Federal Game Shoks or the 7/8 oz loads I use for skeet. That was a waste of $50 Mad (thought I'd be smart and bought 4 boxes Embarassed ) Gave the rest to brdhnt for additional analysis.

sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:41 am  Reply with quote

IF the shells operated as designed - do you doubt your suspicsions were correct? Or are you just giving up on Bismuth as a mfgr?

I'm sure their customer service folks/production people would love to hear about a bad lot of primers crushing their sales...might even net you some freebies in the way of compensation for "pain & suffering", etc.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:48 am  Reply with quote

I'll wait and see what brdhnt finds out. He said Bismuth uses Cheddite primers and they have a reputation for being extra 'hard'
Significant 'pain and suffering' to pull the back trigger on a rapidly departing pheasant and have nothing happen (and did nothing good for either my concentration nor my flinch Confused )

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:52 am  Reply with quote

Drew, that is a bummer! Pheasant hunting is too much work to put up a bird and then drop the hammer on a dud! I will be interested to see if brdhnt has the same experience as I have several new boxes in 12ga. for geese.

Matt
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:00 am  Reply with quote

I do believe Bismouth is an Olin/Winchester enterprise. I''ve been hearing bad stuff about the latest run of WW prmers for exactly the same problem, thick caps. Perhaps its time to look at an alternative like the polymer/tungston shot based shells available. I'd also rattle Olin's cage. They deserve a good smack upside their pointed little corporate heads anyway. Sic 'em Drew.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:17 am  Reply with quote

The Olin/Winchester connection was severed years ago. Bismuth brand is loaded by Eley I believe.

I second the advice to contact Bismuth about the shells. I have had bad shells of one kind or another from all the Big 3 U.S. ammo companies and they always strive to make things right. Don't give up on Bismuth until you see how they react to the report of duds.
RWG
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

Bismuth Cartridge Company owns alll operations for sale of Bismuth shot world wide. Olin/Winchester did load the shells under agreement with BCC for a few years. As state earlier, Eley is loading them for BCC now. BCC is pretty good on consumer satisfaction. I would definitely let them know about any issue you have with their products. I do believe Eley uses either Cheddite or an Italian hull and primer of similar construction. Russ
soloflyfisher
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:23 am  Reply with quote

I've been using Bismuth for years and have never had a dud. I wouldn't give up on them too fast. Sounds like you must have gotten a bad lot--but that's pretty rare based on my experience. I'd call BCC and report the problem and see what they do for you.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:28 am  Reply with quote

Thanks to all and I'll leave further investigation up to brdhnt who is likely to get more response from the Bismuth folks-I gave him all the remaining shells.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Aw, go smack Olin upside the head anyway. You want to. You know you want to. And I know you want to. Wink
druminman
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:13 pm  Reply with quote

I think Olin may have changed primer sources or else Cheddite changed their primers. The last two flats of Win factories I've shot I've had one pierced primer each. I was at the Olin club in East Alton the first time, so I took the shell in and they sent it off. A few weeks later I got $7 worth of Winchester Cash in the mail.

Patrick