16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hi 16ga brethren (newbie)
Big Redhead
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:24 am  Reply with quote

Oh my, a sight dedicated to 16ga aficionados!

First post. Thanks for having me. Been a 16ga lover since '75 when I got my first - a short-barreled H&R Topper named Henreitta. She has accounted for many, many game animals, tin cans, and clay targets through the years. Had a Fox Sterlingworth until last year when I made the worst mistake of my life and sold it to pay a bill. Last night I picked up a really clean Stevens 5100. Was searching for info on this gun when I found this sight.

Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:33 am  Reply with quote

Big Redhead,

Welcome to 16ga.. If you've done any amount of lurking, I'm sure you've found what an accumulation of knowledge and "personality" this site offers. I tend to lurk for the most part, but I've found one can't help but pick up great info; some useful, some anecdotal, but almost all of it interesting.

Have fun and be aware there is an associated low pressure reloader's list if that's of interest.

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
Big Redhead
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:51 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Sebascodegan.

Have been reloading since age 13 but no longer do shotshells. Got into reloading when I was a poor kid so I could shoot more for the same jack and make choices that were not available to non-reloaders back then. The savings on handgun ammo is the most dramatic, especially when I cast my own bullets. Factory shotshells are just too inexpensive to spend the time. Many complain about lack of availability of 16ga shotshells, but they are very common in my area. I settle for the lighter promo loads because I only hunt light upland game (grouse and rabbit) for the most part. We don't have many pheasant around here, and I like to hear them cackle, so I don't hunt them much. Have killed two or three in my life.

As you can tell, I like to "talk." Rolling Eyes Wink

Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

I'm with you on the handgun ammo, I use a Dillon for that though I've never ventured into the world of casting my own bullets. So far a 16g shell availability, I've never been totally without, but I could easily pay twice as much for 16g shells as I do for 12g if I didn't pick and choose my purchases.

By reloading, I can extend my "independence" from the shell manufacturers and I can load lite which my shoulder and my shotgun appreciates....the clays and the birds don't seem to care; the clays because they can't, and the birds because I miss 'em regardless.

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome on!

My first 16 ( I can say that now) is a H&R Topper - maybe I'll call it Ipswich cause that's the best memory I have with it. My Dad, my Uncle John & me on a freezing day - first tea I had with whiskey (Thanks Uncle John), seeing geese land, frozen toes, listening to those two talk in french canadien like I wasn't there, great breakfast, lasting memory...

Anyway,

Hi
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome Big RH! I'm just backwards from you: a Stevens 5100 16ga was my go-to gun for years; then a few years ago I got my Sterlingworth 16ga (hope it wasn't yours Very Happy !) so the Stevens is my rainy-day gun now. Too bad about having to let the Fox go, but I think you'll like the Stevens just fine. Glad to have you with us!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody who names their guns is ok in my book Wink Wink