16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Chukar and memories
jig
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

I love chukar and it was the game with which I learned to hunt first where I was raised in E. Washington. My pals and I used to meet up after sunday church and one of our moms would drop us off at the bottom of a large canyon until dark. We would trudge uphill (mostly) and downhill through the snow from december through feb. That whole canyon was alive with squawkin
chukars once we split them all up. Never failed to limit. Sadly, that whole canyon is now inhabited by horse people and new homes. There are very few chukar left there-if any. Now there are mainly quail who will take up residence just about anywhere. Now, we have to travel to the southeast corner of the State and hunt wayyy bigger country for less birds. The only saving grace is that there are roosters and quail in between the more sparse chukars and huns. Anyone that has never flouered up and fried some chukar has not yet tasted the finest eating game bird alive. They are truly unbelievable eating. I'm heading out tomorrow to chase some down in the snow with my (yes) browning XS Skeet 12 GA 30" bbls and 7 3/4 pounds.
Which is also why I have my eye on a cherry little 16GA Sterlingworth that is the subject of a thread I started a few mins ago. When I was a kid, I used my grandpa's 16 GA damascus ithaca that I had to run clear across town to the one place that still stocked paper hulled shells in the middle seventies 1972-1975. Then about 1976 or so there were no more anywhere. Don't know hwatever happened to grandpa's gun either. I was away in the military when he died and I think it was sold before I got home. nobody had the heart to ever tell me for sure.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

DANG--there's a dedicated bird hunter/brother you need a much lighter gun to tote when chasing them birds.My skeet gun(10 lb Browning with weights,tubes)stays on the skeet field and I grab a much lighter gun when the shots are few and the walkin' aplenty Wink