16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Western SuperX Long Range
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Dr 16g and I have been looking into short loads for our 16s in Russell, and I just found 23 Western SuperX Long Range 2 9/16 16g 4s in a box of Peters Victor Field Loads Rolling Eyes Anyway-no mention of shot weight nor Dr Eq. Anyone know shot weight and speed of these old shells. We thought it would be fun to shoot a pheasant with a 100 yr old gun and 70 yr old shells Very Happy

I got this re: Super Speed from Researcher off the Fox Collectors site:

When Western brought out the Super-X in 16-gauge it came in a 2 9/16 inch case. Up through at least the 1937 Western Ammunition Handbook only 2 9/16 inch hulls are listed for 16-gauge. The next paper I have is 1941. The Winchester Ammunition Guide offers the Super-Speed in both 2 9/16 and 2 3/4 inch. The load in the short case was 3 dram equiv. and 1 1/8 ounces of shot while the load in the 2 3/4 inch case was listed as 3 1/4 dram equiv. and 1 1/8 ounces of shot.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Disect one and determine what's inside-----no guesswork thataway Twisted Evil Wink
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know about weight or speed, but if you can shoot an 85 yr. old rooster you'd have a trifecta!

Matt
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

I just looked at an old box of 2 9/16, 16g, 1 1/8 oz. and the box only reads Maximum load. The other 2 3/4, 16g, 1 1/4oz. was at 3 3/4 dram. super speed. This sounds like a walk down memory lane. Good luck.
Ron
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Could not resist weighing in on this one as I am one of the participants in the GREAT Russell Kansas rooster and quail hunt. Since revdoc is going to need only 4 shells in his 100 year-old LC (for the roosters Wink ), I will have plenty left over for the less than 100-year-old Ms. Sterlyworth and Ms. Elsie, and Ms. Guild I will bring along - none of which is older than the 1920s... I should be able to shoot one bird with the remaining 19 shells.... AT least that's my story when rev asks me for the shells back (and I'm sticking to it Laughing )

revdoc forgot to mention that when the two "docs" take the field - the sum of our ages is probably over 100 Wink

Dr. 16 Gauge
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

They should be compatable with any gun from the period that was appropriate to max load shells.

The older pumps, autos and heavy framed SxS's should be fine, but it might be pushing things a bit for a light 16 ga side by side.

I'd shoot them through my short chambered A5's all day. I'd shoot them through my Parker 16, but only because it is a #1 frame. If it was an #0 frame I would not put the stress on the gun, I'd rather wear it out with a LOT of lighter loads.

And remember to clean the guns well, those old primers are going to be corrosive.

Send pics!

Jeff
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Ron, and good point about the primers Jeff. I'm thinking they are 1 1/8 and at least 3 Dr Eq and WAY too hot for the 06' 2E LC-guess I'll let Dr 16g shoot them in his Sterly. Sure sounded like fun though Rolling Eyes

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

Don't forget to stop and savor the aroma after you do shoot the old Super-Xs.

Nothing and I do mean nothing connects me with my youth more than the aroma of a freshly fired paper cartridge on a crisp winter day.