16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Light Recoil Loads
joe_dumy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

I am looking to build a light recoil load. I have chedite hulls and DR-16 wads. Looking for something that will perform well and be as pleasant to shoot as possible. 3/4oz to 5/8oz loads. I have looked through all the loads I can find and have come to the conclusion that I might be looking for something that has not been made yet. So looking for your suggestions on some test loads that I will have tested to make sure they are safe.

I have Tried greendot 19gns and 700x 15gns with 3/4oz both had about the same recoil. The 700x had a higher pressure and was a cleaner shot. Both had higher velocities then needed. Hoping to create a load for 3/4" with a velocity between 1100 and 1200 with a pressure of 8500-10000.

Anyways at this point I asking for your thoughts on what you would try to achieve what I am trying to do. Again I will send these out to be tested before trying them and will of coarse share my results.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Try 14 to 14.5 grains of Green Dot. Very Happy
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

I've thought that 16.6 grs of Green Dot, 7/8 oz shot was a mild load- having shot the 100 clays course with it without adverse affects due to recoil- but then, those around me that were complaining of recoil at about the 75th clay were shooting 12 ga 1 1/8oz loads & I was shooting a slightly heavier SxS. If I was shooting a light Parker I might have wanted something lighter. the first effort for lighter would involve cutting the shot to 3/4 oz, leaving the powder the same.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:

I'd expect the 700X loads to be much cleaner burning and to produce better, more uniform ballistics and performance. 15 grains of 700X in a Cheddite hull should result in load pressures to be at or near 9K psi in the OP's load. However, in my experience with a 3/4 ounce load w/ 14 gr of 700X in an RGL hull, felt recoil was a bit sharper than a closely similar load w/ 16 grains of Green Dot. Based on my trap shooting experiences, I found that going to a faster burning powder seems to result in this phenomenon even if resulting velocities are about the same.

IMO, 14 to 14.5 grains of GD for a 3/4 ounce load in a Cheddite hull is going way too light to result in clean burning, consistently performing loads IMO. Load pressures won't be high enough for the powder charge to burn well. I'd expect 16 grains of GD would be minimum. Even then, load pressures might be under 9K psi. 17 to 18 grains should be about right in a Cheddite hull with this load. Even 19 grains is not too much, but the load might be milder shooting w/ 17 grains. I'd give that a whirl.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:40 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Ohio Wirehair wrote:

I'd expect the 700X loads to be much cleaner burning and to produce better, more uniform ballistics and performance. 15 grains of 700X in a Cheddite hull should result in load pressures to be at or near 9K psi in the OP's load. However, in my experience with a 3/4 ounce load w/ 14 gr of 700X in an RGL hull, felt recoil was a bit sharper than a closely similar load w/ 16 grains of Green Dot. Based on my trap shooting experiences, I found that going to a faster burning powder seems to result in this phenomenon even if resulting velocities are about the same.

IMO, 14 to 14.5 grains of GD for a 3/4 ounce load in a Cheddite hull is going way too light to result in clean burning, consistently performing loads IMO. Load pressures won't be high enough for the powder charge to burn well. I'd expect 16 grains of GD would be minimum. Even then, load pressures might be under 9K psi. 17 to 18 grains should be about right in a Cheddite hull with this load. Even 19 grains is not too much, but the load might be milder shooting w/ 17 grains. I'd give that a whirl.

You are quite correct,I was reading Cheddite and thinking Remington my brain fart. I use 16 grains in both Federal and Cheddite and 14.2 in the RGL hulls.
joe_dumy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

I made some 18, 17 and 16 grain Greendot loads to test out. I will see what is left in the barrel and what the recoil is like this weekend.

Last weekend I tried the 700x in 15, 14.5 and 14 gns and the 15 was the cleanest and 14 was a little dirty. The recoil was not noticeably different between 14 and 15. I am going to shoot a couple hundred rounds of the 15 this weekend. Had to add a cheerio to get the crimp right.

Might have to drop to 5/8 oz to get a a noticeable recoil difference. Any suggestion were to start with Cheddite hulls and DR-16. My grabber can only do 2 3/4" loads.
rdja
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

This is a load I made up and had tested by Tom Armrest.
Cheddite hull
Win 209 primer
13.7 gr Alliant Extra Lite powder
DR 16 wad
3/4 oz lead. 7.5

Averaged 1278 fps, 10420 psi.

On warmer days it would cycle a very clean and well lubed Belgium A5, but not consistently. Shot it mostly out of my SxS and Marlin 90 OU.
Those guns were too light to shoot clays consistently so I don't reload target loads for 16 much any more.
joe_dumy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

I am going to try this for sure. Looks like there is room to cut it down if necessary. Once I do a few test loads I will send this off to be tested and post the results. Cant wait to find the prefect load for my kids new 16 and create the next generation of 16ga fans.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:38 pm  Reply with quote

joe, what type 16ga is it, and more importantly what is it's weight?
3/4oz @ 1100fps in a 7 lb gun gives 11.6 ft-lbs recoil
3/4oz @ 1100fps in a 6 lb gun gives 13.54 ft-lbs recoil

So that's a 17% increase just off the weight. I've found with my kids that the weight of the gun out near the forearm or barrel is what causes the problems, but weight closer in the stock not so much. You could try removing the buttplate and adding some weight as able to help reduce recoil, this has worked for my 12 y.o. a bit. And of course, a gas operated semi auto gives the least recoil for kids, but that may not be available to you here.

Here's a good thread on your components and some loads that may help:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=281935
joe_dumy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:21 am  Reply with quote

I am still waiting for it to get here. I am hoping for around 6 1/2 to 7lbs. It is a single shot trap gun. So hopefully it has some weight. I though about adding weight at the but stock if needed. So glad I am not alone with that thought.

Right now I am just working on the load cause I can. Since I dont have the gun yet. This gives me something to work on and is part of reducing recoil. Once I get the gun I can work on both and dial it in.

I thought about semi and I am just comfortable with that yet. I like the Idea I can see the action is broke, That they only have one shot. Which will hopefully teach them to make it count unlike me throwing away my first shot all the time. That it will be the right fit and weight for them. And If it doesnt work then I got a pretty cool 16ga trap gun. And will have a reason to get a semi.