16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Cleaning old gun stocks-pics
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

H.H.Hipshot asked what I did to clean up the 100 yr old LC stock and this was discussed recently on DoubleGunBBS http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=12775&page=1#Post12775
One poster suggested Murphy's Oil Soap esp if there is LOTS of grime and old flaking varnish. Scrub using a washcloth over and over until the cloth no longer picks up the black stuff. Use a toothbrush to scrub out the checkering. Murphy's Oil will also bring out the color and contrast in the wood.
Another option is to use Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner again with a washcloth and until the washcloth no longer picks up the gunk. Then use Old English Lemon Oil to put some life back in the wood. I use Old English about every 6 mths here in the desert because of the low humidity. Let the Lemon Oil dry for a day and then use Johnson's Paste Wax or if you're a Parker Putz high roller like Dave M or Brad6260, use Renaissance Wax http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/RenWax.html
It's amazing the color that will become apparent after a serious cleaning!

Last edited by revdocdrew on Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

Wish I'd taken a 'before' shot and nothing spectacular about this wood (which is either English or French walnut) but it turned out well after the Stock Cleaner/Lemon Oil treatment (and lots of scrubbing Rolling Eyes ) None of the contrast was apparent pre-cleaning. Please note also the very fine checkering on the sorta POW grip. The pic was taken on an angle to avoid glare so the stock looks short but is not.

Last edited by revdocdrew on Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

Rev!

My sides are splitting...Parker Putz? LMAO!

Don't work that into a sermon without making sure that none of the bretheren speak Yiddish. The principle definition is "unclean penis"!

I'm going right down to my gun room to clean the schmootz off my Parker putz..... Laughing

Jeff
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff,
He's been calling me that for about 6 months now.
I just can't think of a good one for him. Sad
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

so basically, it's a 2 step process:
clean
maintain

I'm sure there's more than one way to clean the schmootz (schmutz, etc) off a stock - use the cleaner to clean - be patient and apply librally until clean - pay attention to the small cracks (both man-made & natural) and use appropriate tools for various surfaces.

As for polishing the stocks, everybody probably has thier favorite method - with the grain, specific liquids, amount of time and such...(why do I feel the need for penance all of a sudden - danm catholic upbringing...)

cleaners include:
Murphy's oil soap
the Birchwood product

maintenance prooducts include:
old english
Jonhson's paste wax (no joke niccessary)
rennisance wax

last time I cleaned mine I hit the wood with Pledge - shinied it up some and it looks good - the Cabelas folks did a good job for the sale pictures so I'm in a holding pattern...

Note: all jokes are unintentional and comments made are supposed to be on topic and germain to the subject (I've always wanted to use "gerrmane" in a sentance - whichever way you spell it...).
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,

This is tough, a good man who likes LC's.....how about "Farmisht Mensch"

Farmisht: confused, befuddled.

Mensch: a decent human being, a good person who always takes the high road. Being called a mensch is the ultimate compliment.

If you dont like Farmisht consider:

Farblongjid (far-blunge-jed) completely lost and confused
Farcockt: All crapped up.

Jeff
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:35 am  Reply with quote

How about Purdey Petzulah? (Diminutive form of Putz)

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:53 am  Reply with quote

Jeff,

I think "Farmisht Mensch" is fitting. Wink
The Rev is a pretty good guy, but he surely is confussed. Wink
First it was those Sterlyworth guns. He couldn't hit squat with them, so now he's going with the Elsie. (slowly working his way up) He really wants to be a Parker Putz, just can't bring himself to admit it. Laughing
mlewis
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

Rev,
What did you use to clean the side plates? They turned out really nice.

Mike
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Superficial corrosion (patina) can be cleaned off the brls and receiver where the case colors are already worn off using a copper penny and Kleen Bore's Formula 3 Gun Conditioner-it's sold for about $3 in 2 oz. bottles. Flitz will also clean up the metal but WILL remove case colors. I ended up needing to use some Mothers' Billet Metal Polish to remove some rust from the trigger guard and was surprised that the blue remained.
Great care must be used cleaning the case colors- I use a wax product which is made by Flitz called Polier but it's been replaced by Flitz Gun Wax http://www.flitz.com/
After clean up, protect the wood and metal with Johnson's Paste Wax or (even better but expensive) Renaissance Wax http://www.restorationproduct.com/

Foursquare
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:30 am  Reply with quote

For EXTREMELY dirty wood I've used Formby's furniture stripper. Beware, it will take everything out of the wood.

For restoring very old wood I like Kramer's Antique Improver. It restores the essential oils that can dry out after 100 yrs or so. Museums use it. However it is NOT a finish, you must use something else to protect the wood from the elements.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:24 am  Reply with quote

Just received my order of Renaissance Wax Polish
Great stuff-a little goes a long way and brightened and cleaned the side plates of the LCs and the no case color receiver of the 12g Sterly very nicely. The 65 ml little jar ended up about $20 with shipping but I think this will last a long time (and I'll use the Johnson's Paste Wax and the wood)

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:45 am  Reply with quote

Rev, by using Renaissance Wax. You are one step closer to being a Parker Putz. Laughing

fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:01 am  Reply with quote

You know, I posted this over on the doublegunshop site and only got one response. Anybody ever use Old West Snake Oil on their guns? The guys over on the Savage 99 site swear by it, but I've never seen any shotgunners rave about it. Any experience? Thanks...

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook