16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16ga Davis in need .
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:40 am  Reply with quote

well , this has probably been asked before , but ... The Davis has one flat spring that just won't work . I'm not particularly against shooting it as a SS , but I'll throw it out there . Any good spring smiths any of you know of to make a couple new ones . East side of the country . Flat (U spring ) . My guy gave it a shot , but is getting ready to move to PA and just doesn't have the time .... Putzie - damned if that spare receiver didn't have coils in it , and the 16 the flats . you know , sometimes a plan works , sometimes NOT !!

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:59 am  Reply with quote

How about this mainspring?? Hammerless non- premier action

Should be a flat spring as it is NOT the premier action
Call them and ask them to identify

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1009820.htm

Mike

p.s. another type of spring for parts kit??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-R-Davis-Disconnector-Release-Spring-Part-Used-Shotgun-Parts-DS14-/232286675619?hash=item36155d62a3:g:ymYAAOSwImRYf-u8

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

I probably should be a little specific - the main / hammer spring . the right barrel has always worked ok , and this has had a well known refurb group give it 3 tries . I know Chris would get it in the end , but he's leaving town before long and doesn't need this annoyance !

byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

do you have the pieces of the spring? Is it a top lever spring? if you have the pieces I can make a forged v spring in an afternoon.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
scraggley
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

A photo of the offending spring might help some of us have lots of spring stuff Lying around that might just fit!
Art

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:58 am  Reply with quote

I'll get the gun back in hand in a week or 2 - we'll see if the photo dock still works then .

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Bill. Sorry you lost your spring, though I think you were already shuffling the last time I saw you, so you must be stumbling by now. I sure wish I had a side by side with a I/C choke in the right barrel so I could use some of those 7/8 oz 7's you loaded me. That would be my 20 and less yard front trigger load. You don't duck that cloud of shot. Reno

putz463
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:16 am  Reply with quote

Sorry 16D, I looked and you got all I had left in the Davis parts bin. Another one of my hobby's is ornamental fabrication/blacksmithing and I've tried to make similar springs and I found them a bit tricky. Ended up getting something similar off Numrich and modifying the dims/shaping to fit the bill.

best of luck with it...

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:01 am  Reply with quote

RENO - yeah , the shuffling hasn't improved much ! The bigger problem is the gun . I would say 75% of the pheas I've shot have been with it , and that may continue till I get the gun fixed. Although one shot at a time . I'm sure it'll get fixed , and have had some offers here .... Putzie - just the rub of the green that the 12ga receiver had coils . No worries . Funny how a 30 buck gun can grow on you ! If I was a gun maker/fixer , I'd probably be wondering if the 16 couldn't be converted to the coil system , but my imagination is beyond my workman skills !! ( shooting lots of 1/4oz 410's - that's in my realm !)

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:05 am  Reply with quote

Gunparts Smile
Back in stock
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1009820.htm

Do you have the gun "in hand" yet?

Sure would like a picture of the offending spring

Mike

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 am  Reply with quote

Hi Mike , getting a little weather changes there recently . We had a touch of snow the other day and it may hit 90 today - severe storms tonight and only 10gegrees above avg this wkend !!... last link I tried , I couldn't get a picture whether coil or V spring . This link is definitely the right type , whether the correct size , we'll see . I may just order one tonight . I don't see Chris till Sunday , so I'll know more then . I'm sure that's the correct type . It was kind of funny , but I talked to Nick while this was going on , and he was pretty sure I had coils . The x-tra receiver I have from Mike Novy is a 12ga and it's a coil !! oh well , we'll get it right eventually . I'm probably going to have a custom drift pin that the hammers swing on made . Because of the times this guns been apart , mines sloppy and 2 shots will almost allow it to pop out to the right . Always goes that way . Will need to make a pin with a shoulder that can't traverse that direction . Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
Hi Mike , getting a little weather changes there recently . We had a touch of snow the other day and it may hit 90 today - severe storms tonight and only 10gegrees above avg this wkend !!... last link I tried , I couldn't get a picture whether coil or V spring . This link is definitely the right type , whether the correct size , we'll see . I may just order one tonight . I don't see Chris till Sunday , so I'll know more then . I'm sure that's the correct type . It was kind of funny , but I talked to Nick while this was going on , and he was pretty sure I had coils . The x-tra receiver I have from Mike Novy is a 12ga and it's a coil !! oh well , we'll get it right eventually . I'm probably going to have a custom drift pin that the hammers swing on made . Because of the times this guns been apart , mines sloppy and 2 shots will almost allow it to pop out to the right . Always goes that way . Will need to make a pin with a shoulder that can't traverse that direction . Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

For pin stock, check out the MSC catalog for drill rod blanks. Super quality steel and a myriad of diameters available in that they have the blanks in metric, decimal, letter and numbered drill sizes. If it fits tightly in the left side, it really doesn't matter if it's a little loose in the right side. Just remember to always drive the pin out to the right.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:51 am  Reply with quote

skeetx - ordered the spring last nite , we'll see !! .. RM , still have the 12ga receiver gotten from Putzie . Looks to be a little longer pin and of the same diameter - haven't gotten that far yet - thanx for the suggestion as it may come to that . The left side would be where it would have to be shouldered as it travels left to right , so , if it gets to that , will be diff to remove once done ... we'll see !!