16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 gauge Cheddite hulls on Hodgdon site, terrible!
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:13 am  Reply with quote

Joseph Harkom was a Scottish gunmaker, Mike.

Welcome, Harkom
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:41 am  Reply with quote

How true, how true,
Never seen one in 16 gauge

Joseph Harkom started his business in 1837 in Edinburgh. Although he made no significant contributions to shotgun development, his boxlocks were recognised for their quality. The use of fine Damascus tubes long after the introduction of fluid steel, tight scroll engraving and carved serpentine detonators (suggesting a vestigial form of the percussion fence), all combined to create a conservative, almost retro, aesthetic. Harkom guns enjoyed a look that was both typical of the maker and unique to him
Read more at http://www.thefield.co.uk/features/scottish-boxlocks-21988#TrHH5W10cipi8p3i.99

SXSman
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Well I got my CB0078-16 wads yesterday and I tried loading the Cheddite hulls with a little more Universal Clays powder (21.2 grains) and the new wad, the finished load is quite nice, not perfect but very nice.

16 gauge Cheddite hull, Cheddite primer, 21.2 grains of Universal Clays, CB0078 wad, 1 ounce of shot.

Thanks to all who replied, Pete
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

Been a long while since I post anything here but I still go through the forum often to pick up new info.
But I realize the cheddit hull has more capacity but I like to make things work if possible. I know the cherrieo will do the job somewhat satisfactory and that's fine. But to make a load compare close to factory crimps as possible here is what I do. You probably read where I make my own fillers. The one I make goes into the powder cup of the wad. What is left on the bottom of thr filler is enough that expands over the powder just enough to stop powder migration and the height of the colum of the claybuster for 1oz leaves the finish look as bout as close as factory as you can get.
I've switched powders to 20/28 which I have very good success with on Trap and sporting clays.
The filler i compresses nicely and expands to complete a light seal for the gasses. It does not burn or melt or leave any residue. It's very easy to make. I put the wad over it and use alittle compression to put it in the cup for over the powder. I have checked many, many of them after firing and found all in one piece with no distortion.
The 7/8's oz wad as stated above does not do a very good job even on a 1oz load without a filler.
I got a late start at the ATA shooting. Only got in two shoots recently but come away with two 98's on 16's. Not as good starting out on caps. With 81 and 82. Off my mark a little. Both shoots was cold and one shoot had a little drizzle. 16 ga is all I shoot for the last 3 years. Anyway I could have more to say but I'm just taking up space.
Shoot well.