16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  AYA Number 4 Deluxe?
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:26 am  Reply with quote

There is a 16 gauge AYA Number 4 Deluxe listed for sale on gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/640707577

I looked it up on the online blue book of gun values and they don't indicate that 16 gauge was ever offered in Number 4 Deluxe. Is this just a Number 4, or is blue book incorrect?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:21 am  Reply with quote

According to the guys over on the SGW Spanish forum, all the Spanish makers would pretty much build whatever you wanted and could pay for. I'm not informed enough to tell the difference between that gun and a regular model 4, but it wouldn't surprise me to find a particular model gun with another model's features.

tda003
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:50 am  Reply with quote

From a search of the web, it appears there is a no. 4 Deluxe. I haven't seen a number 4 Deluxe in person, but my AyA friend says that the only difference in a standard no. 4 and a Deluxe is the engraving.

There are close up photos of the engraving available by doing a Google search and the engraving is very nice. I don't know how it's done today, but expect it was hand engraved in 1999.

L Kenney
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:39 am  Reply with quote

I had a #4Luxe in 12 ga a decade or so ago. Along with much more extensive engraving than the basic 4, the receiver was scalloped in the back and the stock had tear drop points behind the receiver. An entirely different look. Selling that shotgun counts among the half dozen dumbest things I ever did...
Little Creek
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

I had an AYA #4 16 ten years ago. It was a great little gun. Someone had the triggers redone as they were heavy from the factory. I'd have another, but the prices are way out of hand. The gun you mention would be killer on grouse or quail!
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:43 am  Reply with quote

I've been looking for a Merkel 1620, but now wonder whether an AYA would be just as good. How does a Merkel compare to an AYA?

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:42 am  Reply with quote

A different gun for different tastes. Merkels have a reputation for crazy tight tolerances and taking about a half-lifetime before they loosen up. Spanish guns- not so much, but I doubt you'd regret going either way. I'd say it's a matter of tastes, stock fit, and ultimately, how well you shoot either one of them. I can't speak to the differences in reliability and serviceability. Never had an AYA. The German guns I've had, I've never had anything go wrong with them. I've got a 1620, but it's got two triggers Smile. That grade 4 sure is pretty, though. Price does seem a tad high, but maybe not.

tdnathens
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

After reading the description and looking at the pictures it appears to me this gun is very over priced. Rust, cracked stocks, etc. When this gun was manufactured in 1999 it retailed for under $2000.00. I realize what the replacement cost would be as I have priced them before. You may have to replace the stock if you use it for a lot of shooting. You can't pick up a cheap stock for these guns. I have been looking for a single trigger model like this one, but not at that price with it's warts. Where it's priced it should really be 100%, unfired in a fitted leather case.
Tom
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

tdnathens wrote:
After reading the description and looking at the pictures it appears to me this gun is very over priced. Rust, cracked stocks, etc. When this gun was manufactured in 1999 it retailed for under $2000.00. I realize what the replacement cost would be as I have priced them before. You may have to replace the stock if you use it for a lot of shooting. You can't pick up a cheap stock for these guns. I have been looking for a single trigger model like this one, but not at that price with it's warts. Where it's priced it should really be 100%, unfired in a fitted leather case.
Tom

Yeah, the rust and stock cracks are a non-starter.

powderburn
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

Just me. But you might want to look at the Look a the NECG site. They have new AYA #4 -25 special edition guns available in all gauges for the same $ . I agree that this gun is priced pretty high comparatively.

powderburn
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Just me. But you might want to look at the Look a the NECG site. They have very nice AYA #4 -25 special edition gunsavailable in all gauges new for the same $ . I agree that this gun is priced pretty high comparatively.

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

Yes they have them on sale for the exact same price brand new

lbrown
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Yes, overpriced given the issues. But that is definitely a 4 Deluxe. Scalloped back, full coverage engraving. You don't see a lot of them for the simple reason that they cost about as much as a No. 2 sidelock.